Is there a way to manipulate section columns with CSS?

We are currently using sections to create two columns of our documents. I'd like to address each left column with a different CSS class than the sections on the right. However they do not seem to have those different classes (like "column-left" and "column-right"). Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

In Confluence 5.5.2 the columns are displayed using div-elements. Means you should use something like

div.two-equal div:first-child {

Thanks, that worked in combination with CSS nth-child()!

@Florian: Can you specify what kind of combination you are using? That interests me because nth-child() didn't work in my version.

Hi Florian, 

If you're looking for a way to do this that is built-in to the UI, check out our add-on Theme Press. Our columns, blocks and layers are macros to which you can add one or more CSS class names. You can also style columns and blocks without custom css (to make your next Confluence upgrade less of a headache) with our built-in designer tool. 

You can try it yourself or send us a note for a demo. 

Using Theme Press for column decoration you have two options: 1. Define an alternate block style and then check the box in the column in the Theme Press Designer to use that alternate styling 2. Add a CSS class to the column using the Theme Press Designer, then add custom CSS to target that. The first option is future proof, the second is not.

Please stop posting your advertising messages where they do not belong and also stop pushing them up with your buddy. No one here has asked for a commercial theme add-on.

You could try and use

.columnMacro:first-child {

}

in your stylesheet.

I agree with TtheB: ":first-child" does work (unlike ":last-child" or ":nth-child(x)").

I am just not sure about the right class. Does the section macro not simply create normal tables? I think the right code would be something like this:

table.sectionMacro td:first-child {
}

Okay, my answer refers to Version 4.3.7. Seems it is not the same for different versions.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,527 views 25 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you