Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to enter data on one ConfiForm but have it stored in another?

Kathleen Janiszewski April 4, 2023

I'm using ConfiForms in lieu of a database.  I want to be able to have the user enter the data on one form, but have it stored in another ConfiForm on a different page.  Is there a way to do that?  I'm currently storing the data on both forms, but then I have to worry about keeping the data in sync.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2023

Hi @Kathleen Janiszewski 

You can set up a rule in your first form to copy data into the second form (creating a new record in the second form)

Why would you want to copy the data in the first place? You can show the data stored in your form from ANY page (assuming the user has (at least a view) access to both pages)

Alex

Kathleen Janiszewski April 5, 2023

Alex,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The issue is the registration macro.  The user wants to enter all of the information on one screen.  However, some of that data does not make sense to keep in that form.  It belongs on a different form on a different page with other fields that require calculations.  I do a FULL OUTER JOIN in alasql to join both tables together on the PK.

Trust me, I'd rather use a real database, but ConfiForms is what we have.  I'm going from an Excel File to ConfiForms, and the user is used to seeing their data the way it is set up in the Excel form.  The problem is that at least 4 of those fields are duplicated.

So, there needs to be 1 data entry form, and part of that data will be in one form and another part of that data will be in a 2nd form.  Why? Two reasons: I already wrote a fully functioning program that is use using those Excel files, so the data needs to be in a similar structure; the other reason is that keeping the 2 together presents a PII issue.

Thank you for your help on this!

-Kathleen

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

OK, that is cool to know. Love when users want to see what they used to see, no matter what tool they use :-)

One little advise on your 2nd form - add there a smart field that is linked to the first form, so you can have a direct link to the initial firm and set this link (something like smartfieldin2ndform=[entry.id] to set it up (among other fields you copy)). 

Which will allow you to build a view later that involves data from both forms. As the view other the second form will give you access to the 1st form

Alex

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events