Is there a way to draw diagrams in confluence (server) without payed add-ons?

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2016

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2016

I'm not completely sure what an organogram is. If what you want is something like an org chart, you can generate that using the free PlantUML plugin. Here is an example chart I created. Any of the nodes can be a clickable link.

PlantUMLDiagramsConfluence.png

Here is the PlantUML dot code for that particular diagram:

digraph foo { 
  concentrate=true
  node [shape=box,style="rounded,filled"] 
  node [fillcolor=lightgrey,color=black,URL="http://www.nytimes.com"]; Burgers;
  node [fillcolor=aquamarine4,color=black]; Refrigerator;
  node [fillcolor=deepskyblue1,color=black]; Shake;
  node [fillcolor=darkorange2,color=black];  "French Fries";
  node [style=filled,fillcolor=lightsteelblue2,color=black];  "Grill";
  node [style=filled,fillcolor=orangered4,color=black];  "Boss";
  node [style=filled,fillcolor=lightskyblue,color=black];  "Manager";
  node [style=filled,fillcolor=mediumpurple4,color=black];  "Customer";
  node [style=filled,fillcolor=olivedrab4,color=black];  "Order Ticket";
  node [style=filled,fillcolor=limegreen,color=black];  "Deluxe Burgers";
  Shake -> "French Fries" 
  Shake -> "Refrigerator" 
  "French Fries" -> "Grill" 
  "French Fries" -> Shake 
  "French Fries" -> Customer
  Customer -> "Deluxe Burgers"
  Customer -> Burgers
  Customer -> "Order Ticket"
  Burgers -> Deluxe Burgers 
  "Manager" -> "Customer"
  "Grill" -> "French Fries"
  "Grill" -> Refrigerator
  Boss -> "Grill"
  Boss -> "Manager"
  Boss -> Burgers
  Boss -> "Customer"
  Boss -> "Order Ticket"  
  "Order Ticket" -> "Boss"  
 }
0 votes
Serge_tkint June 25, 2020

Make your drawing in Visio and save it as a SVG. 
This way it can be made interactive (clickable)

Full flexibility with links, layout and images

Clare August 20, 2020

Hi Serge,

I tried this using LucidChart because you can export to SVG, but when I dropped it into the Confluence page it acted like a regular image and my links within shapes still weren't clickable.

Is there a step I'm missing, or is it maybe just a feature with Visio? 

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not familiar with the SVG format.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2016

There is no native graphical editor. If you don't want to buy a plug in, you need to draw whatever you want externally, save as PNG, JPEG, GIF, etc. then insert in a page.

For our docs, we use Illustrator and save as PNG.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2016

Well our process management wants to make a clickable organogram where clicking on a department takes you to another confluence space with some more info on that department and it's subprocesses. So it's a little more complicated then just inserting an image unfortunately.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2016

OK, first, I don't think answers allows profanity, so maybe lay off the use of organogram. wink

You can create images with maps (can be a PDF),or you can create a grid of images, and then in the Confluence image properties, set a link for that image when clicked. So you would need one image per space.

Or check out this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.dl.confluence.plugin.imagemap.ImageMapPlugin/server/overview

Like # people like this
Eric_Mertens January 18, 2019

@Bart Meerveld , i believe i kind of found a way with flowchart macro which came when i installed the graphiz plugin

Like Serge_Partamian likes this
0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2016

If you want drag and drop diagramming like Visio, No. I don't believe any of those are currently available for free.

If you want to create flowcharts, org charts, and similar type drawings using a text drawing language, take a look at PlantUML.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events