Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to disable strike-through in Confluence?

Rob Moser October 30, 2014

Confluence's editor likes to take anything between - marks and turn it into strike-through text.  That's probably great for some people, but we use our Confluence to document - among other things - unix commands used for various tasks.  Lots of those commands have -'s in their names, and almost all of them use 's to delimit arguments; if you're not paying attention when you type, you end up with struckthrough garbledygook.

Actually, I'm just going to leave that there like that, as a case-in-point.

Is there a way to turn this behaviour off?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

Have you tried Settings > Your Settings > Editor > [x] Disable Autoformatting?

No, I had not. No idea that option was there; it does the trick perfectly. Thanks!

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

D'oh! I shoulda thought to look there but... I didn't. Thanks for the tip. Have made several people here very happy.

2 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014
  1. If anyone comes up with an answer, I'd like to see it; we also have the problem.
  2. A kludge (but it works even if annoying) is to use the code block macro for this purpose. Then the wiki markup imposition goes away

Yeah, I use the code blocks too, but for smaller fragments it would be nicer to have them inline.  And mostly it would be nice to be able to type without worrying about the text getting changed underneath me.

As I said, I can see the value of the feature in some environments; I'm not asking for the default behaviour to change, I'm just wondering if there is some way to turn it off for our site.

1 vote
MJ July 12, 2017

Use an Escape special character (https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all)
Example: 
Notation =>   -NO\-STRIKE
Result +>   -NO-STRIKE

Rob Moser July 13, 2017

Thanks MJ.  Doesn't solve my problem, as I wanted to be able to just type (and cut-and-paste) without having to worry about going back to escape things.  But it may well be useful to someone else who finds this thread.

Madhu Mani August 13, 2018

Notation =>   -NO\-STRIKE

0 votes
Dennis July 31, 2020

Even if we can disable this through the settings auto format, having this as default behaviour is RIDICULOUS! It's not only for commands you use dash. It's used in normal writing too. You should change the letter combination to trigger strikethrough (or perhaps turn it off by default).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events