Is there a way to disable strike-through in Confluence?

Confluence's editor likes to take anything between - marks and turn it into strike-through text.  That's probably great for some people, but we use our Confluence to document - among other things - unix commands used for various tasks.  Lots of those commands have -'s in their names, and almost all of them use 's to delimit arguments; if you're not paying attention when you type, you end up with struckthrough garbledygook.

Actually, I'm just going to leave that there like that, as a case-in-point.

Is there a way to turn this behaviour off?

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Have you tried Settings > Your Settings > Editor > [x] Disable Autoformatting?

No, I had not. No idea that option was there; it does the trick perfectly. Thanks!

D'oh! I shoulda thought to look there but... I didn't. Thanks for the tip. Have made several people here very happy.

1. If anyone comes up with an answer, I'd like to see it; we also have the problem.
  2. A kludge (but it works even if annoying) is to use the code block macro for this purpose. Then the wiki markup imposition goes away

Yeah, I use the code blocks too, but for smaller fragments it would be nicer to have them inline.  And mostly it would be nice to be able to type without worrying about the text getting changed underneath me.

As I said, I can see the value of the feature in some environments; I'm not asking for the default behaviour to change, I'm just wondering if there is some way to turn it off for our site.

Use an Escape special character (https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all)
Example: 
Notation =>   -NO\-STRIKE
Result +>   -NO-STRIKE

Thanks MJ.  Doesn't solve my problem, as I wanted to be able to just type (and cut-and-paste) without having to worry about going back to escape things.  But it may well be useful to someone else who finds this thread.

Notation =>   -NO\-STRIKE

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

285 views 2 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you