Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to delete all content in Confluence cloud other than cancelling or manually deleting?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Is there a simple way to delete all content and start fresh without having to manually delete EVERY space one by one, which includes recovering permissions per space one by one?   I have no intention of cancelling the site, I just want it empty, and I want to be able to do so again and again as needed.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan

Good day. Welcome to Atlassian Community. 

Is there a simple way to delete all content and start fresh without having to manually delete EVERY space one by one, which includes recovering permissions per space one by one?   I have no intention of cancelling the site

Please note that If you have both Jira and Confluence subscription, you can wipe Confluence data without cancelling the site. 

• Step 1: Navigate to the Manage subscriptions tab on the user management page.
  • Step 2: Confirm if you have Jira Subscription on it.
  • Step 3: Click on the 3 dots that you see for to the confluence and choose the Delete button
  • Step 4: You would need to type "DELETE" and choose a reason as well, you can choose "We are resetting/starting fresh with this instance"
  • Step 5: Once the deactivation is completed. You can navigate to Discover applications and re-activate the Confluence.

Things to note :

1. This operation will remove all the data on the confluence site permanently and you cannot restore the same. 
  2. It's possible that for your license to get reset, you would need to manually make sure that you are on the correct plan
  3. If you don't have Jira on your site and only have confluence, Please subscribe to Jira and perform the above operation and post the above operation please unsubscribe the Jira. ( Please note that when you subscribe to Jira for the first time it asks you whom to notify please choose to notify site admins only if you don't choose anything then the users on the cloud site will get a notification that you have added Jira to the site)

Regards,
Sri

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2021

Hi @Sri Kumar  - Thanks

I noticed something a lil' sneaky sneaky in there, and not in a good way.

When I restored my Confluence site it went to the Standard plan without asking me.  If I hadn't noticed I could have been in a billing scenario.

Still, its funny that the wording says you can do this without deleting the site when that's literally what's being done.  Confluence was deleted, then added back.

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan ,

When I restored my Confluence site it went to the Standard plan without asking me.  If I hadn't noticed I could have been in a billing scenario.

Thanks for the update. That is a good catch, I have updated my procedure. 

Still, its funny that the wording says you can do this without deleting the site when that's literally what's being done.  Confluence was deleted, then added back.

Apologies for the confusion. I was referring to that the site will not be put into cancelling state.

-Sri

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2021

Thank you!

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2021

@Sri Kumarsorry to bother you but I have a followup question or two.

So it seems like the process for using the cloud migration assistant is:

• Run a test migration to the Cloud site
  • Verify the content is OK
  • Reset each product (Jira and Confluence) to ensure they are wiped
  • Migrate again

Is there a less invasive way of doing this?  I had once received a wipe.zip file from Atlassian to clear Jira and re-migrate content from server to cloud, but that no longer works as well.

Are there any potential downsides to the reset approach?  Will it mess with billing?  Are users going to be affected?

Michael Aglas December 14, 2023

use a sandbox

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2023

@Michael Aglas - An official sandbox is not an option unless you have Premium or Enterprise.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events