Is there a way to change the name of "blog"? It feels unprofessional.

Bas Zwaan December 29, 2021

The title says it all. I want to change "blog" to for example "newsletter".

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Hi @Bas Zwaan , welcome to the Community.

I’m not exactly sure where it is you are wanting to change the term Blog. Can you explain in more detail. With that said, I am doubtful that you will be able to change. For example if you wanted to rename the Blog template that could not be done. For what it is worth, “Blog” is not an unprofessional term. It is used and accepted worldwide by many professional content providers and consumers. I certainly respect your desire to present your content as a newsletter and maybe that can be realized within Confluence in a manner that meets your needs. In my mind a newsletter is quite different than a blog. It might be that simply using a different template would meet your needs?

Hi Jack, thanks for your input. We have different opinions about the term blog, for my firm it is unprofessional. Newsletter is quite different than a blog, hence why we want to change it. I see that there is no way to change it except for a workaround, interesting since it's just text that needs to change but we'll work with that. Thanks again!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Hi @Bas Zwaan Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You cannot rename it, but can turn off the "Blog" link so that it doesn't display in the sidebar.

1. Go to the space in Confluence Cloud.
  2. Select Space Settings from the sidebar.
  3. Select Edit sidebar from the Manage space card.
  4. Choose what appears in your sidebar.

Once done, you can create a space shortcut with name "Newsletter" and link it to another confluence page. Hope this helps.

Hi Kishan, thanks for your answer. Weird there is no simple solution such as changing a piece of text, since it actually is just text. I see that this problem has been coined back in 2012 already: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Rename-blog-to-news-throughout/qaq-p/47828

I'll accept the workaround.

Like Kishan Sharma likes this
0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2022

@Bas Zwaan 

Newsletters are typically sent via E_Mail. You can easily create your own Newsletter system on confluence with the help of a few good macros, labels etc  and get people to post newsletters.

I setup our own forum system using page properties and page property reports etc and some macros to create the correct kind of page using templates. There are also forum addons you could use and modify but rolling your own gives you more control over naming etc and of course is cheaper.

Then you can simply hide all blogs by removing it from the left menu.

Art

0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2022

Since a blog is very different from a newsletter why would you want to rename it?

Bas Zwaan January 3, 2022

Because, as you correctly say, a blog is very different than a newsletter. We can provide newsletter content in the "blog" environment since it's basically just text, pictures, links etc. But if we post newsletter content while the wording says "blog" it is not really representative because it is very different than a newsletter.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events