Is there a way to bulk rename pages in confluence?

Gianna Migliorisi June 29, 2015

We have a bunch of pages that are prefixed with our "product" name, which has been re-branded.  Is there a way to bulk rename these pages within confluence or is an external plugin required?

5 answers

3 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2017

I think the CLI from BobSwift is the best and easiest way to do that.

As mentioned in an other answer, that the script isn't working, here a working command:

-a runFromPageList --space SPACKEY--title "TITLE" --descendents --common "-a renamePage --space SPACKEY--title \"@title@\" --newTitle \"PREFIX-@title@\""

Replace SPACEKEY, TITLE and PREFIX.

Kind regards
André

1 vote
Pascal Van Hecke October 25, 2015

We  use the https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.nurago.confluence.plugins.treecopy plugin.  Using that, copy a page tree, and before copying, bulk rename pages with a find-and-replace (third screenshot).

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2015

Another option would be to use the WebDAV add-on(comes pre-installed). You could map Confluence as a drive and then use a batch/shell/powersehell script to change them.

0 votes
Benoit Plet June 29, 2015

You could use Atlassian Command Line Interface (CLI):

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.atlassian.cli

I used it to do exactly what you have been describing.

Michal Marko May 24, 2016

Hi Benoit,

could you provide me some hint, which commands (or set of commands) did you use to rename bulk of pages?

Many thanks.

Mike

Nicolas Casel
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

Thanks @Benoit Plet .

Same question as @Michal Marko , could you provide an example? Because the vendor documentation does not talk about bulk renaming:

https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CSOAP/User%27s+Guide

BenoitP
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

Here is an example that adds a prefix ("RG - ") to all pages and descendants:

1. List the pages you want to use:
    --action getPageList --space "MySpace" --title "MyPage" --descendents --file "getPageListOutputFormat2.txt" --outputFormat 2
  2. Do the rename:
    --action runFromList --common "--action renamePage --space ""MySpace"" --title @entry@ --newTitle ""RG - @entry@"" --name: getPageListOutputFormat2.txt --content: @entry@" --list "Title","Id","Parent id","Author","Created","Modifier","Modified","Version","Url"
Wiki Support June 28, 2016

I tested your script and it's not working. The script is always trying to rename first page with name "Title", which does not exists.

Check it...

Wiki Support June 28, 2016

See attachedscr.png also print screen

Adam Locke September 28, 2016

Hi there! I am running into the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Cheers,

Adam

0 votes
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2015

The only way I currently know is to use the API and try to do it that way. You would need to write a script that pulls every page title, checks if that word appears in it, and if so then replace it and update the page. 

Ben Krichko October 3, 2023

Hi @Alex Yasurek 

Could you send me that API you are referring to? We have 40+ confluence pages that get copied every two weeks (Project updates) and i'm looking for a more efficient way to remove the leading "1" off the front of each copy rename. 

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2023

Hi,

You would need to use the API call to update a page:

https://docs.atlassian.com/atlassian-confluence/REST/6.6.0/#content-update

You would have to use a GET call to pull each page and then use the PUT call to update, unless you know before hand what the pageId is of each page you need to update.

If you want a plugin that will make this a little easier, but still manual, then check out: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214087/space-admin-for-confluence

Ben Krichko October 3, 2023

@Alex Yasurek 

OK...I ran the GET call and fetched a specific page. I want to rename all items that show "1Nick" to just "Nick". In doing a search function, there are 45 references. Is there a certain REPLACE ALL function I'm missing. 

Confluence.png

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2023

There is no replace all function when it comes to the API. You would have to update each page one at a time with the API. 

If you want a replace-all type function then that would be something done in the actual app with a plugin, like that space admin plugin I linked to.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events