Is there a way to break up a table?

Doris Dunn June 29, 2018

I inserted a large table with numerous rows that I'd like to separate into multiple tables with fewer rows. Wondering if there is an easy way to do this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

Hi Doris,

Unfortunately, no..the only way to do that is to create the new tables and cut/past the rows from the large table. I've found that Confluence works like adding tables to Word documents.

-Scott

Doris Dunn June 29, 2018

That's what I thought. My biggest frustration is that I can only copy and paste one cell at a time. Is there a way to grab multiples cells and copy those into the new table?

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2018

Try copying the whole think into Excel and then use the Excel sheet as a source for the smaller tables. If that doesn't work I'll play with it a bit in my test space.

Doris Dunn June 29, 2018

That doesn't work either, as it copies everything into a single column. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

I figured it out...

You have to use the "Copy" and "Paste" buttons in the toolbar. Select the rows you want to copy in the source table and click the Copy button, then put the cursor in a row on the destination table and click the Paste button.

Why the short-cut CTRL-C and CTRL-V don't do this is beyond me.

-Scott

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2018

Hello Doris,

Have you tried using the "Copy table row" and "Paste table row" buttons?

• Copy :

copy.png

• Paste :

paste.pngYou can use it to copy and paste several rows.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Edit: posted my reply before seeing @Scott Theus's one :)

Doris Dunn June 29, 2018

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful!

Marquos Samuel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 27, 2020

Probably this it too old but the Excel trick worked. If you copy an excel table you can paste as table-formatted directly in confluence 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events