Is there a way to automatically upload an excel sheet on a scheduled time from sftp folder?

ramitha.jayakumar March 9, 2020

I am looking to set up an automatic upload of data from an excel sheet 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2020

Hi Ramitha,

Thinking about your ask to upload an excel sheet on a schedule, I came up with some ideas:

• Using the REST API - you could write a small script that attaches the Excel sheet to Confluence Cloud using the attachment REST API. Scheduling the script would then depend on your system - in Linux you could create a cron job to run it on a specific schedule, or on Windows you could add the script to the Windows Task Scheduler.
  • Using an upload connector from the Atlassian Marketplace - there are several apps that provide upload capabilities from various sources. While I'll just encourage you to take a look at the published apps, it's possible you may find something that fits your need (even if it bypasses the SFTP folder).
  • Get the data directly from source - this might be beyond what you're looking for, but it's worth examining the entire pipeline of where the data is coming from. If there's a database export generating the Excel spreadsheet, maybe a more interesting option would be to get the data directly from the database into Confluence using something like the External Data for Confluence app.

Hopefully this provides some ideas to get you going. There might be some solutions to your needs just outside the normal "upload an Excel sheet" box!

Cheers,
Daniel

ramitha.jayakumar March 11, 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs. Def you provided me with some thoughts for me to think more based on my needs.

I am planning to try option 1 and see how it works out 

Ideally 3 might be great because my source is a  database, so might look into it to see how licencing works for our firm. We do not have it with the plan which we currently have 

Thanks again! 

Cheers,

Ramihta 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events