Is there a way in Confluence to create a checkbox without it being a task?

Ronald Yeshulas December 1, 2014

I would like to create a checklist on a confluence page, but the list is not a list of tasks. I have looked at the checklist plug-in, but don't want to create a page for each item on the list (could be as large as 20 or 30 items). Anyone have any ideas?

9 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2014

How about something like this? Just put a comma separated list in the macro body.

Macro Name:
dynamic_checkboxes

Macro Title:
Dynamic Checkboxes

Description:
This will create dynamic checkboxes from a comma separated list.

Macro Body Processing:
Escaped

Template:

## Developed by: Davin Studer
## Date created: 12/2/2014
## @noparams

#set ($containerManagerClass=$content.class.forName('com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager'))
#set ($getInstanceMethod=$containerManagerClass.getDeclaredMethod('getInstance',null))
#set ($containerManager=$getInstanceMethod.invoke(null,null))
#set ($containerContext=$containerManager.containerContext)
#set ($contentPropertyManager=$containerContext.getComponent('contentPropertyManager'))
#set ($d = '$')

#if($req.getParameter('submit') == "true" && $req.getParameter('checkbox') && $req.getParameter('checkbox') != "")
    #if($req.getParameter('value') && $req.getParameter('value') != "")
        #set ($value = $req.getParameter('value'))
    #else
        #set ($value = "")
    #end
    $contentPropertyManager.setStringProperty($content, $req.getParameter('checkbox'), $value)
#end

#if ($body != "")
    <form class="aui" id="dynCheckboxForm">
    #foreach($box in $body.split(","))
        #if($contentPropertyManager.getStringProperty($content, "dynCheckbox$box") == "checked")
            #set($checked = 'checked="checked"')
        #else
            #set($checked = '')
        #end
        <div class="checkbox">
            <input class="checkbox dynCheckbox" type="checkbox" name="dynCheckbox$box" id="dynCheckbox$box" $checked value="checked" />
            <label for="dynCheckbox$box">$box</label>
        </div>  
    #end
    </form>
#end

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.toInit(function(){
    AJS.$('.dynCheckbox').click(function(){
        AJS.${d}.ajax({
            type: 'GET',
			data: {
                submit: 'true',
                checkbox: AJS.$(this).attr('id'),
                value: AJS.$(this).is(':checked') ? 'checked' : ''
            },
			url: "$content.getUrlPath()",
			success: function(data) {
			},
			error: function() {
			}
        });
    });
});
</script>
Ronald Yeshulas December 3, 2014

I guess I hit my limit for comments yesterday, so had to wait until today to say thanks. This is exactly what I needed.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2014

Glad it works.

Todd Hank June 23, 2015

This is Fansastic! Thank you

Mike Muekni July 20, 2015

This is a fantastic macro but it doesn't save the checked state for me. Is there any way to do it?

Alex Christie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 9, 2018

Hello Davin, you're an absolute legend for sharing this! The code doesn't seem to work for me. I pasted the code and entered the corresponding title,name and macro body processing.

When I insert the macro i get this error 

"Error rendering macro 'dynamic_checkboxes' : Error occurred rendering template content"

Any ideas? I'm on confluence server 6.4.0

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2018

That is because when Atlassian migrated this forus from their previous site they messed up code blocks. So, all the html is now escaped out. Copy the code and do a find a replace on these in this order ...

FindReplace
&amp;&
&lt;<
&gt;>
Like Alexander Khrennikov likes this
Eitan yomtovian April 4, 2018

If I have Conflunce-cloud, where do I write this code?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2018

There is no way to do this with the cloud version as you cannot write user macros.

Meredith B
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 5, 2018

Hi Davin, 

Are you still able to answer questions about this?

I'd like to share a page I'm creating with our staff. It has a checklist to refer to in it. However, if I use the built in formatting, everything is automatically considered a Task. Almost none of our staff have edit rights to pages, so they can't tick anything off.

Your code up there works perfectly to create non-Task checkboxes, so thank you very much for sharing it! 

However, I can't use it, because Confluence remembers what's checked between sessions. Is there a way that I can set it up so that if the page is refreshed, all the check boxes are cleared?

Thanks very much in advance.

9 votes
Robert Ortner May 9, 2017

Just enter [] without blanks - automaticly converted to a checkbox. Very usefull in tables instead of using yes/no or similar stuff

Vicki Lea Tsang June 1, 2018

Awesome! Thanks Rob!

UNSW Global IT
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 17, 2018

Brilliant

Aaron Williams January 12, 2021

that gets automatically converted to an 'action' item in cloud :(

Like Jennifer Taylor likes this
4 votes
mbatten
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 8, 2016

Just want to add a simple solution that I found to this problem in case others are still looking to do this.

If the task does not have any text after it, it does not register as a task. So to create a checklist I put the task checkbox into a table cell by itself with the items for the checklist in a cell beside it.

It functions purely as a checkbox then with saved state and does not register as a task. Really easy to add with the shortcut [] as well.

image2016-8-8 21:8:40.png

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2016

Nice work around.

.mike September 7, 2016

not "working arround" with me.

placing the "checkbox-symbol" OUTSIDE the table (somewhere on the page) = OK
saving the page will create a checkbox that users can click on the viewpage.

placing the "checkbox-symbol" INSIDE the table = NOK. users cannot click the checkbox on the viewpage.

see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41460975

Matt Batten
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 5, 2019

Still working fine for me after all these years, even in latest Confluence Cloud.

1 vote
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2014

Roland,

I understand you have no plans to spend money purchasing the plugin to help you with checkboxes, but may be, a bit more advanced plugin will help you to solve this particular problem, as well as anything else when you want to store some structured data in Confluence. Take a look at ConfiForms

Various types of forms: checklists, registrations, feedback... also, with rest api, so you can do some reporting when needed 

0 votes
Sushma September 4, 2019

Hi @Davin Studer

In your macro ,how to store the checkbox status as checked or unchecked ?

Suppose if we create a checkbox from the confluence UI ,we will get the status as complete or incomplete in the storage format as below.

<ac:task-list>
<ac:task>
<ac:task-id>1</ac:task-id>
<ac:task-status>incomplete</ac:task-status>
<ac:task-body><span>Type your task here, using &quot;@&quot; to assign to a user and &quot;//&quot; to select a due date</span></ac:task-body>
</ac:task>
</ac:task-list>

Similarly is it possible to get the status from your macro?

Please help me 

Regards

Sushma

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2019

No. The user macro above does not create tasks ... so the task report won't work with it.

Like Sushma likes this
Sushma September 4, 2019

Thanks for the response @Davin Studer 

Sushma September 4, 2019

Hi @Davin Studer 

I have one doubt, If we create tasklist /task report from User macro in confluence, are we able to get the state/status of tasklist while viewing the storage format from the confluence page?

Regards

Sushma

Sushma September 5, 2019

Any response ?

Matt Batten
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 5, 2019

Hi @Sushma I think you will need to look elsewhere for a solution as this was about creating a checkbox that is NOT a task.

So the purpose is just to have a visual checkbox you can check/uncheck that will hold state.

To do this, there is no task created.

Like Davin Studer likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2019

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any great ideas for you.

Wayne Ritchie September 16, 2019

Best bet is to hope someday Atlassian kills their crappy markup and adopts what is used almost everywhere else; GitHub, Slack, .... Checkboxes would be nice, but inline code blocks cannot even be created.  ...no, `code` which converts the font to monospace is not how a inline code should appear!

Like # people like this
0 votes
George Cakiades December 21, 2018

If you are creating the page from a template, the following code populates a checkbox:

<ac:task-list><ac:task><ac:task-id>2</ac:task-id><ac:task-status>incomplete</ac:task-status></ac:task></ac:task-list>

I don't think the task-id is very important, but you may want to increment it depending on what you're doing.

0 votes
Ronald Yeshulas December 2, 2014

A little more information might help. We have spaces for client projects. The space has an area with meeting notes and action items are identified during these meetings and tracked as tasks in confluence. Additional project work is tracked in JIRA. The main page of the clients space shows these action items. As part of the project plan there is a "shopping list" of items we need from the client. The space contains a page with a list of these items and I would like to turn this list into a checklist without adding to the action item list. I can filter tasks from that page using a label, but then I would also lose the ability to note action items/tasks on that page and wanted to avoid that. I think what I'm really going to need to do, is learn how to write my own macro for a checkbox and add it as a user macro, but I just don't have the time to do that right now.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2014

Is there a reason you can't use the task list for this?

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2014

Hi Ronald,

I believe you are looking to a macro like this one: Checkbox by Gumvillage.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Ronald Yeshulas December 2, 2014

Thanks for your response. I did see that macro, but was trying to avoid spending money for a checkbox.

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2016

Addons also cause headaches when upgrading to the next build. I find it very unfortunate that most answers on answers.atlassian.com are someone telling us to buy paid plugins, especially considering the price of the base product.

Like Tauhid Smith likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2016

The above user macro is free. I promise I won't charge for it. smile

Like Sushma likes this
Jennifer Taylor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 13, 2021

Looks like the macro above is no longer free. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events