Is there a shortcut to un-link?

Sonji Thompson December 1, 2020

I know there is a shortcut to link ( Ctrl-K) but what if I want to unlink an item. Is there a short cut to  unlink?? 

I hate having to click unlink for user @ mentions. I use this to help assist in action item tracking. 

Thanks,

Sonji++

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2020

Hi Sonji, welcome to the Community!

For working with links, there are a couple considerations:

1. If you're typing an address such as "website.com" and the editor auto-converts it to a link, you can use Cmd+Z / Ctrl+Z on your keyboard to "undo" the link conversion
  2. If the link wasn't from autoconverting, or you've already moved away and are coming back, as long as the cursor is "inside" the link text, the menu options should pop up and allow you to unlink. This is one click vs potentially a second click if you had to first hover/position the cursor with the mouse
    image.png

I'm interested in hearing more about the case with user mentions though! For item assignments to work correctly in Confluence, @ mentions do need to be used. 

image.png

@ mentions such as this aren't un-linkable. They act as a single character on the page and are removed entirely if you backspace them. If these @ mentions aren't used in an action item, the user who should be handling that item won't get a notification from Confluence, and the action item won't appear in their Tasks list.

Given some more information about how you're doing action item tracking, I might be able to help out or provide additional clarity about the editor's features. A before/after screenshot and maybe a description of how you handle the items might help me understand a bit more.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Sonji Thompson December 3, 2020

Dear Daniel,

Thanks so much for your reply and the helpful information in regards to unlink for a normal URL type link. 

So yes, I am using @ mentions for actions items.. so a user will get notified of new actions created and go to to their "Tasks" list to see what actions are open. The problem is more than likely the way I am tracking them. My steps are as follows:

1. Meeting Note this week:
    1. Each week I create a new confluence page for the week and for my project.
    2. Copy last week's meeting note to this week 12/3. 
    3. Delete action items/Tasks [ ] that have been completed. No reason to carry those forward
    4. Keep those still open to discuss this week.
    5. Save page and close. 
    6. I am ready for this week's meeting with current action items
  2. Meeting Note from previous week:
    1. For the previous week, let's say 11/25, I go back to that meeting note to "clean up"
    2. Lock it for edits, so it is a record of what was done last week. 
    3. Change the tasks to bulleted item (Ctrl-Shift-B) and highlight in RED (from menu) to signify it was not completed that week. 
    4. Unlink the tasks so the assignee, or @mention(s), does not get an email about my changes.  Hover the mouse over @ mention, click Unlink.
      1. There can be anywhere from 5 to 20 @mentions in one page.
      2. Some have complained of getting too much email.
      3. That is why I want to remove @mentions for open tasks in the previous week meeting note.
    5. Save and done. 

So what I would like is a shortcut to unlink my @mentions where necessary. :) Get it? 

Thanks for other suggestions you may have,image.png

Sonji++

Sonji Thompson December 4, 2020

@Daniel Eads  fyi. I replied.. any additional feedback? thanks, sonji++

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events