Is there a shortcut key to bring up macro-edit page

Steven Hajducko September 19, 2012

So I'm trying hard to swallow my distaste of the RT editor. I'm also going to steadfastly refuse to use any type of wiki markup for insertion of data for two reasons:

1 - Because Atlassian is moving away from wiki markup. If they want to move away from it, then I need to learn to use the RT editor and only the RT editor. By doing so, I'll be able to provide feedback to the point that the RT editor (hopefully) eventually works for me enough to supplant wiki markup.

2 - You can't edit the markup in wiki markup ( without plugins ), so having one way of inserting data and another way for editing data is ineffective. Also, the source editor, imho, is a joke. Editing pure XHTML/XML by hand is a throwback to a decade ago.

That being said, is there any shortcut to edit an existing macro on a page?

For example, I want to be able to type {toc} or have a table of contents macro in the page - and quickly highlight the macro and bring up the edit page without using my mouse.

I couldn't find any available shortcuts in the help or confluence documentation for doing so. I should note that we're on 4.0.3 with plans ( supposedly ) to upgrade soon.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
SarahA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2012

Hallo Steve

Here's a guide that may help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF40/Quick+Reference+Guide+for+the+Confluence+Editor

In short: You can enter a curly bracket { and start typing the macro name. Confluence will offer a drop-down list of macros that match what you type. Use your keyboard arrow to move down the list then press Enter to choose the macro. The macro editing dialog will pop up.

Things will be even better when you do upgrade, because you will be able to type in the full wiki markup for the macro, include parameters and closing bracket, and Confluence will insert the macro in the new format.

The above page shows you other wiki markup that still works, such as using asterisks for bold text and so on.

Cheers, Sarah

Steven Hajducko September 19, 2012

Perhaps it's our version, but hitting enter on a macro such as Table of Contents simply inserts the macro - the edit dialog doesn't appear. Is this a configurable option that needs to be set?

It also doesn't help in circumstances when we are editing an existing page and I'd like to quickly edit the options for a macro ( for instance, if I'm testing out different styles for the ToC ). If such a shortcut doesn't exist, I'd like to recommend one be created. :)

As I mentioned, while I'm a huge proponent of wiki markup and believe you guys have made a mistake in going away from it, I'm trying to use the RT Editor without using *ANY* mark up - mainly because you cannot *EDIT* markup, so it makes no sense to learn one way to insert data and another way to edit data ( ie - I can insert bold text with *blah*, but when editing, if I want to do away with that bold text, I need to highlight and then hit ctrl+b - Might as well just learn to use ctrl+b to insert bold text as well ). In essence, I'm either going to eat the dogfood or I'm going to die trying. :)

Richard Haven March 24, 2021

ToC specifically has no resolved view in edit mode

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events