Is there a practical limit to the size of an image that Image Effects can be applied to?

David Keaveny September 6, 2012

I'm trying to apply image effects (curled shadow, in this case) to a 600x428px 600KB JPEG, and after selecting the effect, the spinner comes up, but never completes. Looking at top (this is Confluence 4.3 running on Ubuntu 12.04), there is a flurry of activity for about one second, then that is it, the java process just sits there at 0% CPU utilisation.

I've been able to apply the same image effect to small images without problem, so I'm wondering if there's a maximum size of image that the effects can handle?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

Hi David,

There is actually a hard limit in place for this, that should show an error when you try to apply effects to images over 2,000 square pizels in size. It should look like this:

The image's dimensions are too large to apply effects.
The width and height must be under 2000 pixels.

a 600x428px image should be fine - check you JVM settings and logs to make sure there aren't any errors. Contact our support team if you're having trouble. http://support.atlassian.com'

-Simon

David Keaveny September 9, 2012

Hi Simon,

Checking /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/logs/atlassian-confluence.log gives me the following error (trimming off the enormous call stack):

2012-09-07 17:13:37,018 ERROR [http-8090-5] [[Standalone].[localhost].[/].[file-server]] log Servlet.service() for servlet file-server threw exception
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Numbers of source Raster bands and source color space components do not match
        at java.awt.image.ColorConvertOp.filter(Unknown Source)

which suggests that Confluence doesn't like my image. I tried opening the original image in Paint.NET, saving it again, and replacing the image on the wiki, but that made not difference. I then tried copying and pasting the image into a new image in Paint.NET and saving it, and this time the image effects applied correctly.

FWIW I just noticed that the image thumbnailer wasn't generating images before either, but with the updated image, thumbnails were generated OK.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2012

Thanks for the info David. It still bothers me that a JPG file threw that error - hopefully you won't have to do this for every image you upload.

David Keaveny September 10, 2012

So far every image from a particular source (our marketing department) has had the same problem. Images that I've created (e.g. from screenshots) work fine. Thanks again for the help.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2012

The way that your marketing department saves JPG files may make them corrupt. Might be worth going over their export procedure.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Have you tried to delete your jar files from the library? located in the /WEB-INF/lib

See this post for further R & D information - 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2322031/why-did-servlet-service-for-servlet-jsp-throw-this-exception

I believe that these files are shared and sometimes get contaminated 

0 votes
CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2019

I believe Confluence sets it at 100MB and you can alter the standard in house as needed. 2,000 pixels -

0 votes
Scott Campbell February 15, 2019

I just discovered that Confluence appears to be validating files by their extension. In my case, Adobe Photoshop is not saving the file extension in a way that Confluence is expecting, so I have the same behaviour as above (i.e., screenshots load fine, but anything I am saving from PS is not).

Solution: add .jpg to the file name and everything works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events