Is there a limit to the number of versions tracked for a page or attachment

Brian Pryor September 3, 2020

In Confluence server, is there a limit to the number of versions tracked for a page or attached document?   

I'm currently preparing to show a team some of confluence's page history/version tracking abilities.   I'm going to need to explain if there is a hard limit on # of versions that are possible to track on a page but I don't seen any documentation around it.  Is there a limit?  Anyone know where it is documented?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2020

Several limits, but they're technical and not ones you will need to worry about day to day.

The counter itself is limited to the highest integer your database can record.  From memory, the universe probably has something like 10^80 atoms in it, and an Oracle database number field can hold up to 10^120-ish. 

My use of silly numbers there is to emphasise the technical size, not the real-life usage.  No, there is no simple numeric hard limit you will ever realistically reach.

But, your humans will start to struggle if the numbers get too high for them to grasp.  Some bits of Confluence may also start to do so - I've seen it get very slow to search pages that have 1,000 versions (let alone the 400,000version  page that was created by really poorly-thought-out automations). 

The hard limit on version numbers is vast and of no concern to us.  But I would worry about why something might be creating vast numbers of versions of pages or attachments - it won't break Confluence for a long while, but I'd question why it's doing it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events