Is there a Create Issue button available to use from inside Confluence?

Chris Purser March 29, 2023

We use Confluence pages as homepages or workspace pages, with each team member using a personal space for some things, and each team using a full Space for their work/workflows. In each of those instances, we are often required to create Jira issues. Currently in order to do that, we have to navigate FIRST to Jira, where we only then find a Create button for creating an issue. 

I'm looking to skip the entire step required to navigate TO and INTO Jira first, and have a button that just starts the Create-Issue event.

Does anyone know of a way to get this done? It would save us a bunch of time.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

@Chris Purser You can follow the steps below to create an issue.   https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/use-jira-and-confluence-together/ 

Create issues from inside Confluence

You can create issues while viewing a page or from the within the editor, letting you use Confluence for planning and gathering requirements. 

To create an issue when viewing a page:

1. Highlight some text on your page and choose the Create Jira issue icon that appears above the highlighted text.

2. Enter your server (if you have multiple Jira sites connected to Confluence), project, issue type and descriptionYour highlighted text will populate the issue summary automatically. 

3. Select Create

The issue will be created in Jira and added to your page. If your text is in a table, you'll have the option to create multiple issues using text from the same column.

If you don't see a popup when you highlight text, check that Text Select is enabled in your profile settings.

To create an issue in the editor:

1. In the editor choose Insert > Jira Issue > Create new issue

2. Enter your server (if you have multiple Jira sites connected to Confluence), projectissue type, summary, and description

3. Select Insert

The issue will be created in Jira and added to your page.

There are some limitations when creating Jira issues from Confluence. The Jira Issues macro or Create Jira Issue dialog will notify you if it's unable to create an issue in the selected project. You can find out more in the Jira Issues Macro page.

Chris Purser March 29, 2023

ok - Thanks Brant.

That's what I thought. There's no button macro option.

I added "SELECT SOME WORD HERE TO MAKE A JIRA ISSUE" to our homepages so now there is a way to do it.

These aren't 'planning' pages. These are starting pages - places where members start every day, with buttons/links to all the dashboards and 3rd parties they need to access for their daily routine(s). So the pages very rarely change.  I was hoping for a button, but this is a reasonable hack.

Thanks!

Cheers. 

Like Jonathan Bohlmann likes this
Jonathan Bohlmann June 22, 2023

@Chris Purser  looking for the same.  I don't know why this is not an OOTB option.

Marcus Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 6, 2024

@Chris Purser and @Jonathan Bohlmann 

I too am looking for the same feature. I assume this still isn't easily configured.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events