Is the option to use the old layout now gone?

Fiona Maher October 31, 2019

I am 80% through my project - with everything created in the old layout - including anchors.  Now when I create a new page - the new page layout is used.  This was fine until I wanted to link to anchors on a page with the old layout - can't be done!!

At the moment I am faced with re-creating pages with anchors on the new layout so I can link to headings.

Does anyone know a workaround other than having to re-create pages?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello Fiona,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to have you.

I assume by the old layout, you're referring to the former editor. Is that correct? 

The new editor currently does not have anchor macros, and we don't have plans to implement them as of yet, according to our roadmap.

There's a feature request for this below:

As a workaround, you could use our new feature, Linkable Headings. Have a look below for information on that:

Linkable headings

Over the next couple of weeks, we're rolling out the ability to copy the link to a heading so that you can connect your users to the most important sections of a page.  

To get the heading link

1. Hover over the section title when viewing the page.
  2. Click the link icon to copy the heading.
  3. Share the link, or insert a link to it when editing a page.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Fiona Maher November 7, 2019

Thanks Shanon.  The issue is the heading links only work from pages created with the new editor.  As I am part way through my project, 80% of pages are created with the previous editor.  When I created a new page with the new editor - the heading link doesn't work if I want to link to a heading on pages created with the old editor.

I am happy with the heading link as a replacement for the anchors - but enforcing the change over mid project is less than ideal.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

Hello Fiona,

Anchors still function as expected for pages that were created on the old editor. It wasn't until the new editor was introduced that they stopped working.

You can follow the examples in the documentation for Confluence Server Anchors as a guide for how they work on the old editor:

Link syntax:

http://myconfluence.com/display/spacekey/pagename#pagename-anchorname

Examples:

http://myconfluence.com/display/DOCS/My+page#Mypage-bottom

http://myconfluence.com/display/DOCS/My+page#Mypage-importantinformation

I can confirm that this works for me in the new editor when trying to point to an anchor on a page created with the old editor.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Fiona Maher November 13, 2019

OK.  Thanks Shannon.  I think I did try to add the anchor name to the page link, but I don't think I had the correct syntax based on what you have above - I didn't include the page name after the # then a dash to the anchor.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Fiona.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2019

Hi Fiona,

No worries! Can you just confirm with me that you have tested it again with the suggested formatting and it's now working? 

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events