Is synchronising two tree structures in order to merge two confluences necessary?

Jessica Foo August 3, 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to merge two different confluences one is on demand and the other one is in aws. So far the steps I believe I need to undertake include:

1) Upgrading confluence A from version 5.4 to 5.5 so that it is the same version as confluence B

2) Exporting confluence A

3) Exporting confluence B

4) Merging the two confluences together into a new instance.

Is there anything else I may need to consider? Would I need to synchronise the tree structure in both the confluences or is this not necessary?

Thanks in advanced!

1 answer

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2014

Hi Jessica,

As far as I know, merging the two instance is best done by exporting all your spaces from one of your instance then import it to another.

Here's what I would suggest you to do.

1. Upgrade Confluence A to the same version as Confluence B
  2. Export all Confluence A spaces
  3. Create a full XML backup for Confluence B
  4. Import the XML backup for Confluence B into a new Confluence C
  5. Import all the spaces from Confluence A to new Confluence C

Please note, User installed plugin and users from Confluence A will not be retained. You will need to reinstall them and recreate the user.

Hope this suggestion helps!

Regards,

Jing Hwa

Jessica Foo August 6, 2014

Hi Jing,

Thanks so much for your response, that really helped me a lot. Another question, if you don't mind providing your insight - How would I sync this with crowd? The previous confluences are both managed by crowd, how would I be able to synch this properly and have all the user data as well.

Thanks in advanced! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events