Is selecting text broken on confluence?

Bogdan Oloeriu July 20, 2020

Just selecting the text from a confluence page blocks the selection feature for more than 30 seconds. In my opinion, this is not acceptable. I understand that creating a ticket starting for a selected text is useful but if this feature blocks you from selecting another section of text for more then 0.1 seconds In my opinion the price is too high. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2020

You'll need to get your browser fixed.

The selection of text in a browser has nothing to do with the server that has given it a page to render and work with, it is purely the browser doing all the work.  If you're finding it is slow, then either your browser is broken, or it's not processing some "on select" javascript correctly (which is unlikely as Confluence doesn't serve up any).

Bogdan Oloeriu July 21, 2020

Dear @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Is not my browser. I have the same experience in a fresh installed Ubuntu VM box with Chrome and Firefox. What I did notice is that the confluence is slowing down my browser (Firefox is quite explicit on this) when I have edit writes on the pages that I use. In total, I have tested on 3 different machines standard and incognito mode with Chrome and Firefox. Is this a bug that I should report or is just my company's confluence that is acting up weird?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

I'm afraid it has to be.  Selecting text on a web page is a function of the browser, not the server. 

When you are reading a page, the work is being done entirely by the browser.  When you are in edit mode, it is possible for the server to have handed you javascript that does some "clever" things (this is usually only done to try to capture the more rich text parts), but most of the work still is being done by the browser.

So, if you're seeing this a lot, it strongly suggests that your browser is doing something odd, closely followed by your network, or something that has been added/configured in your Confluence server that is doing bad things.

There's no harm in reporting it as a bug, Atlassian might be able to point to the dodgy app/config/setup on your server.  Or identify a bug in the version you are on.

Bogdan Oloeriu July 23, 2020

I noticed something else. Only the pages that have lot of big code sections display this behaviour. I will probably report this as a bug. It was not behaving like this before the lockdown. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events