Is my site auto backup a full backup for each day at 2am or is it incremental?

Vinh Le November 18, 2019

The daily backup zip file in the confluence-home-dir\backup folder is a full site and database backup or is it an incremental backup.

Because i am running out of disk space, I found about 1G of zip file for each day for the last 7 months, if it is a full backup then i can remove all back up zip files except for the very last day in order to save disk space.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

Hi,

yes, those are full backups. I recommend you to make some kind of script with backup deletation scenario like this.
* last week - everything

* before week and last 30 days - one backup per 3 days

* older than 1 month and less than 1 year - 3 backups per month (start, middle and end of month)

Hope it help :-)

Vinh Le November 18, 2019

Great fast response.

So you recommend a manual back up scheme.

For example :

- If I decide to only back up manual once a week.

- So I can keep this week back up (Nov 19).

- I can keep 1 copy of last month (Oct 19) backup and delete all the back up for that months 

- I can delete any back up older than Sept 19 

Is this sounds ok ?

Thanx

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

No.

I think Petr is suggesting to you make a script that deletes old backup files.

Let the backup continue to run as a service in JIRA. 

You can work out new schedules but I do not think a manual backup is what is being recommended.

But yes - backups at Database levels can be created and run manually or via scripts.

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2019

Hi @Vinh Le ,

I meant this as @Vickey Palzor Lepcha wrote - so just make a script to delete unnecessary backups.

Vinh Le November 19, 2019

will do thanx

Kaya, Rahmi June 16, 2021

Does anyone has a script that will delete all Zips older then e.g. 10 days ?  For Windows.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events