Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to require users to fill in "What did you change?"?

Greg MacLellan October 25, 2012

When changing a page in Confluence, there is a text box at the bottom for "What did you change?". Is it possible to make this a required field, so users have to enter a change message? In my previous experience with Wikis, this seems to help a lot when you're looking at list of recent changes or trying to find something in the history of a page, because at the least it provides a hint to relevant/irrelevant changes.

If you don't require users to fill it in, it's easy to forget or simply skip. Making it a required field is about the only way to make it work.

----

Update: I ended up doing what Matthew Horn suggested.

To add this, first create a .js file hosted on a webserver somewhere, accessible to anyone accessing your Confluence install. If you're running a proxy in front of the Tomcat confluence server, that is a good place, in for example, a /custom directory.

Contents of this file:

jQuery(function(){       
        var saveEnabledTitle = 'Save your page ( Type \'Ctrl+S\' )'
        var previewEnabledTitle = 'Preview ( Type \'Ctrl+Shift+E\' )'
        var saveDisabledTitle = 'Please enter a change comment before saving';
        var previewDisabledTitle = 'Please enter a change comment before previewing'; // confluence UI limitation

var saveButtonCheck = function() {
                var commentField = jQuery('#rte-savebar #versionComment');
                if (commentField.length == 0 || !$(commentField).is(':visible')) return;

if (commentField.val().length > 0) {
                        jQuery('#rte-savebar #rte-button-publish')
                          .enable()
                          .attr('title', saveEnabledTitle);
                        jQuery('#rte-savebar #rte-button-preview')
                          .enable()
                          .attr('title', previewEnabledTitle);
                } else {
                        jQuery('#rte-savebar #rte-button-publish')
                          .disable()
                          .attr('title', saveDisabledTitle);
                        // note: have to disable preview too, since it doesn't work if the publish button is disabled. Probably a workaround but pretty complex.
                        jQuery('#rte-savebar #rte-button-preview')
                          .disable()
                          .attr('title', previewDisabledTitle);
                }
        }
        saveButtonCheck();
        jQuery('#rte-savebar #versionComment').keyup(saveButtonCheck);
        $('.aui-buttons.toolbar-group-preview, .save-button-container').click(function() { $('#versionComment').focus(); });

});

To add this to your Confluence, under administration, go to Custom HTML and add to "At the end of BODY":

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://hostname/path/to/file.js"></script>

This is a total hack, but it seems to work so far. Note that if you disable the Save button, the Preview function stops working, which is why I also disabled that button (my preference would be to only require the comment to Save, but it's not a big deal).

Warning: after using this for a year, many users still type useless comments like "update" or "edited" or even just a period. I think it probably will take until they have to go back and wade through a couple dozen changes to find a particular edit themselves before see the value. What's the saying.. you can lead a horse to water...

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012

What I would do is not try to add any back-end logic (in other words, change the form processing), but rather add some JavaScript. I would disable the Preview and Save buttons by default, and only enabled them when the length of the versionComment field is greater than 0.

0 votes
Sam Hasler August 15, 2016

This looks like a more concise solution with fewer dependencies and would be less likely to break:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/249722

0 votes
SRBR SE March 27, 2015

Thank you Greg for this code.

Using Custom HTML and adding at the end of body, will work only for that page...

My question:

Is it possible run this code in all page of confluence as default? like a event...

Regards,

Caio.

Greg MacLellan April 14, 2015

The way I described to add it adds for all pages (Administration > Custom HTML). I think you are confusing this with the "Custom HTML" macro maybe?

0 votes
Greg MacLellan April 29, 2014

Edited to include instructions

0 votes
Deleted user April 29, 2014

Thank you Greg for this piece of code.

Since I am rather new to programming with Confluence, could you please tell me where to put this code?

TIA

Kai

Greg MacLellan April 29, 2014

Edited to include instructions

0 votes
Matt Albone January 24, 2013

Hi Greg, you may be able to help me out.

This is basically the kind of functionality I'm looking for, but I just need to know, where did you put this bit of javascript in order for it to effect the confluence page editor?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events