Is it possible to paste markdown containing macros?

David Wahlstedt December 3, 2021

Hello,

I am wrtiting a document in emacs org-mode, and export to markdown(if you don't know what org-mode is, you can consider me as writing markdown) I want some of the paragraphs to be expandable, and I found that confluence supports the "expand" macro. I have succeeded with the following:

I paste the markdown file into confluence, and it show exactly what I want. So far so good! Then I cut out a larrge wall of text that I want to be expandable, so I type "/expand" and then paste in my section manually.

But, according to this page

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/expand-macro-223222352.html

it should be possible to enclose a section between

{expand}

{expand}

to get it expandable.

So I modified my markdown accordingly, but without success. It it possible to edit the confluence contents in "raw" wiki format? Then I could try to paste it in there.

Thanks in advance!

David

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

You may have hit on a limitiation of the new editor in Cloud. But yes, you can edit the source code (XHTML) for the page. But you will need a special editor to do so.  I suggest this app:

source-editor-for-confluence 

David Wahlstedt December 5, 2021

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look!

David Wahlstedt December 9, 2021

Hello,

It seems as if the source editor is a tool that is not included in the standard functionality: it was only available as a "free trial", which in practice means it's not an option for me. I want to use what's available in what's already included in the Jira/bitbucket/confluence account.

Is it not possible to edit confluence pages with wiki notation?

It would be a great improvement to have that, so you don't have to click and type everything manually.

BR,

David

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2021

Theoretically yes, but I am pretty sure that was deprecated with the new editor, and possibly in the cloud version generally (Cloud is generally a feature-reduced version of server, with more features being removed everyday ;-) ).

Unfrotunately, Confluence often needs a few free/paid plugins to get what you want. Just the nature of the beast. If you compare the cost of the plugin versus your productivity, it may well be worth it.

Like David Wahlstedt likes this
David Wahlstedt December 9, 2021

Thanks for your answer :-)

I don't know if my employer would find it worthy, and my task is now not that urgent that it motivates such a purchase. But it is good to know that it exists! I will work around it by either inserting the expands manually, or having links to separate pages. Or I'll just be more brief, and maybe that's a good thing ;-)

Cheers,

David

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events