Is it possible to move a space from one Confluence to another?

Margarita Rueda August 4, 2015

My team is becoming an independent business unit and we are opening a new Confluence account.

I would like to move all our current content, which is a space inside the owner company's Confluence account, to a new account under the name of this business. 

6 answers

7 votes
Luiz Maia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2015

Hi Margarita,

Yes, it's possible to export spaces from Confluence as XML files. You can also restore these XML backups in a new instance,

I suggest you follow the instructions described in this guide: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF43/Exporting+Confluence+Pages+and+Spaces+to+XML

Please let us know should you have any questions.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Luiz Maia
Atlassian Support

Thank you

Margarita Rueda August 27, 2015

Hi Luiz, So I tried to do what you recommended. I got the zip file for my original Confluence space, however it seems I can not import it into the new Confluence account. I went into the Confluence admin and selected Import space. But it keeps loading and nothing happens until my session expires. Any suggestion? Thank you!

Abyakta Lenka August 10, 2016

Same here @Luiz Maia how to avoid the session expires issue . my exported space is little too large and it always end up in session times out while importing . kindly help 

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2016

You need to upload it to your WEBDAV directory and it will be listed as an import option on the import space section smile

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2016
1 vote
darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2015

Same versions of confluence for the sake of no worrying (same major version - worse case scenario)... User macros are replicated if any, addons are matching, users in the target confluence are created (space import). Attachments normally are included in the export so shouldn't have a worry here.

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

Updated export method for Confluence 6.4.0:

Prerequisite - permission

1. Navigate to the desired space
  2. In the bottom of the navigation pane (left side), click on Space tools (the gear icon)
  3. Click on the Permissions tab
  4. Make sure that you have export permission on the space, either for the group that you belong to, or to yourself as individual user

Export procedure

1. Go back to Space tools
  2. Click on the Context tools tab
  3. Click on the Export tab
  4. Choose XML export format 
  5. Click on Next
  6. Choose between Full Export and Custom Export
    1. for Custom, make your selections
  7. Click on Export
  8. Export starts
  9. When done, click on Download here
  10. Save the zip file in a folder of your choice
0 votes
darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2015

Atlassian raining on our parade? smile

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2015

As someone pointed out, this is straightforward if the two Confluences are the same major version (e.g., 5.5 and 5.7) – just do an XML export from one and import from the other.  You reach the export from space admin and the import from Confluence admin.  

One caveat that hasn't been mentioned – there must be no preexisting space in the target instance with the same space key.  If there is one, you won't be able to import your space. 

Thomas Robbs March 21, 2018

That's a pretty important caveat.

It also implies that if you're consolidating spaces as part of your migration, you can't use this feature. :(

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2015

As an administrator you can "backup" (read export) a space and "recover" (read import) it in another instance of Confluence. You'd be wise to have both instances at the same version though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events