Is it possible to list all pages with a given status?

John Noonan July 14, 2022

Our team likes this little button, but can't find a way to query to find all the pages in a given status.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 165630.png

5 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

@John Noonan Welcome to the Atlassian Community. The status 'lozenge' is currently a static object on the pages that you use it on, and is not queryable or subject to any automations. It is a brand new feature in Confluence Cloud - and there has been a lot of community feedback about making this object part of the page content that can be queried and reported on. Stay tuned for future updates on the Status Icon - but for now it can only be viewed on a pag by page basis.

Hope this helps!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

@John Noonan please let me know if my answer assisted you. If it did, please click on the Accept Answer button so others looking for similar assistance can find it in the future.

Jodi Neufeld September 28, 2022

+1 on being able to create reports based on page status!

Like # people like this
matilde.dueholm November 7, 2022

I just had a similar question, and someone lead me to this answer.

I think for me/us it would be nice just to be able to see the status in the page overview. As we could then use it to get an overview of what needs to be review etc, to have a mini contant review/approval flow

Like # people like this
Tauscher.H-D November 22, 2022

+1 for searching by page status

Like Torsten Berger likes this
Peter Bettens March 21, 2023

+1 to query, and/or create a report based on these statuses! I'm investigating the use of Confluence for a pilot of ca 200 users (company >1000 potential users). This a so nice, but missing feature...

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2023

@Peter Bettens How many statuses do you use in your organization? Would the 5 slots for (centrally managed) content statuses offered by Confluence suffice?

Some relevant reading: I wrote an article on Confluence page statuses with features and imitations in Confluence Cloud.

Like Peter Bettens likes this
Tauscher.H-D May 20, 2023

@Levente Szabo _Midori_ The relevant reading does not seem to point to a solution to searching pages by a given status.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 22, 2023

@Tauscher.H-D 

1. You can use CQL to search for Confluence pages in a status. It mentions the Content Status List macro that allows you to search for and list pages in a given status:

search-for-expired-pages-cql.png

2. If you continue exploring content about Better Content Archiving for Confluence, you will see that the content status overview is also a way to find Confluence pages in a status as it gives a figure for all existing statuses across your spaces:

01-content-status-overview-cloud.png

Tauscher.H-D May 22, 2023

Thank you for clarifying that @Levente Szabo _Midori_ !

Like Levente Szabo _Midori_ likes this
4 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2022

Hi @John Noonan Welcome to the community! 👋🏼

Currently, you have no easy way to query pages based on their page status. Neither the Page Property Report macro nor the Confluence advanced search support page statuses. So the feature is great, but it's still missing essential features, like being able to easily edit the status as well. But they will hopefully follow over time.

If you are looking for this kind of reporting on pages and easily maintaining your content, I'd like to suggest having a look at our app Orderly Databases for Confluence on the Atlassian Marketplace.

The gif below shows you a snippet of a table in Orderly with linked pages and their page status (and some other metadata you usually add to pages), which you can not only view but also edit directly. Additionally, you can sort and filter based on that data, including page statuses. 😄

Page+Status+Short.gif

It's like tables and page properties but more powerful and smarter. 😄 We recently added support for the page status field to the app to work with it more easily internally and to have a workaround for the given limitations. 😕

You can edit the page status inline on the page itself without opening the editor in the Orderly macro. It's very similar to the page property table, with more features.

orderly_page_status_inline.png

I realize this may not be the answer you were hoping for, but currently, even as a Confluence nerd, I don't know of a better way. 😅 If you have any further questions, let me know, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best, Max

2 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2022

Yes it is possible! You need to use the page-properties-macro on each page, and have one value as your status. Then you can have a report using the page-properties-report-macro to pull the information. I have used this structure many times as a way to store page attributes that can be easily queried.

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Because status is available in CQL as a field, you can write CQL queries to find all pages in a given status. And there are a few macros that accept CQL as configuration parameter, so you can insert those macros parametrized with the corresponding CQL to a page to have the list.

See our article about building report pages based on status like this:

better-content-archiving-content-status-list-macro.png

0 votes
Peter Bettens July 6, 2023

@Levente Szabo _Midori_ At the moment we use 5 status, but we now use a workaround with the Page properties and Page property reports.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
July 7, 2023

I see. If you are open to trying a solution instead of a combination of workarounds, please give Better Content Archiving a go. A free trial would be enough time to see if features like the content status overview fit your use case or not.

It is also geared for enterprise use cases and data volumes. Our support is also available if you have any questions along the way!

Like Aron Gombas _Midori_ likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events