Is it possible to import dokuwiki to confluence cloud? How?

Hari Suminto January 8, 2015

All references about importing dokuwiki to confluence seems to refer to confluence server. What's the best way to import dokuwiki to confluence cloud? Thank you.

3 answers

1 vote
Justin Justin January 8, 2015

It's a bit of a process, like all migrations, so you need to plan/coordinate this. But here's the general flow.

1. Contact Atlassian Support by opening a new ticket to give them a heads-up that you are doing this. Maybe they will have some advice for you but leave the ticket open. This ticket will again be used, as you progress later to import the migrated content (step 5) into your Confluence cloud.
  2. Tell your manager that this is NOT going to be completed in one day so his/her expectations are properly reset. When he/she says "How long?" reply that you do not know yet. That you are doing your homework and it's a process. Report back when you know more (which best advice should be at step 5).
  3. Set up an offline Confluence server with a free evaluation license, matching the same version as your Confluence Cloud instance. Here's a page that shows the latest running cloud version but maybe you want to double-verify that in your open Support ticket as well.  
  4. Perform the wiki content migration off-line. There's some notes for using the UWC for Dokuwiki to help you here. It might not be as simple as just using the UWC, since it really depends on your Dokuwiki content elements, size, attachments, userbase, etc. but it still will help some. Here's a high-level Wiki Migration Checklist that provides a little more insight on the process of a migration, so you know what you are getting into, and things to consider. 
  5. Import migrated content into Confluence cloud. When you have a clean copy of your migrated content, coordinate with Atlassian Support via your previously opened ticket to have newly created migrated Confluence space content imported into your Confluence Cloud. Content should be moved into new Confluence spaces only (and can move it around if need to merge after you get it moved).

Hope this helps on general steps; tons of sub-steps in there.

The most important is #2 honestly. Nothing worse than having your manager breathing down your neck for a week or three+ making you feel bad during a tricky process.

0 votes

Thank you Justin for your comprehensive response. I have opened a support ticket and got a response suggesting the same as you suggested (setting up confluence server with free evaluation licence and import dokuwiki there). I am not sure if I will go down that route as we don't have resources to do so. I might just migrate the pages manually as an on going process.

Actually (as pointed out by tech support staff) there is a functionality to import from Word document but unfortunately Dokuwiki does not export to Word document. There is a plugin that does export to ODT (open doc format).

Thanks again for your help.

Justin Justin January 8, 2015

No problem and for small numbers of pages (maybe up to 200 or so), turning up your favorite music and just copying away is the best trick. Good luck.

0 votes

Apparently importing pages from disk also doesn't apply to Confluence Cloud :( I would imagine being hosted solution Confluence Cloud to be more featured-rich or at least on-par with the server version.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events