Is it possible to hide selected Groups from Users?

David Sankey January 22, 2014

Is there a way to restrict what Groups a User can see when assigning permissions to a document?

The somewhat simplified use case is:
I am new to Atlassian and am currently assessing Confluence's (On-Demand) capabilities to provide our customers access to documentation on their relevant projects. Confluence seems perfect for this; We create a Space for each Customer, and in each space we create a document heirarchy for the different projects. Using Groups we can control which users can see which projects. i.e.

Customer 1 (Space):

Project 1 - Default access limited to a Group called "Customer 1 - Project 1"

Project 2 - Default access limited to a Group called "Customer 1 - Project 2"

..... etc.

Customer 2 (Space)

Project 1 - Default access limited to a Group called "Customer 2 - Project 1"

Project 2 - Default access limited to a Group called "Customer 2 - Project 2"

..... etc.

We want to allow users the ability to share documents across projects within the same space.... i.e. A user in "Customer 1 - Project 1" may create a document and choose to give the Group "Customer 1 - Project 2" permissions to view it.
Up to this point Confluence works great! But (the dreaded but).... we do not want users in Customer 1 to be able to view the Groups that belong to Customer 2, likewise we do not want users of Company 2 to see Groups that belong to Customer 1.
Do to the nature of our business and customers, we can not share or disclose to one customer who our other customers are.
Is this possible in Confluence?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2014

This is not possible with Confluence as is. If you don't want Customer 1 to see Customer 2 groups then you need to not give them the ability to provide page restrictions and you would have to manage that for them.

However, I think a better approach, and more standard, is to have an install per customer and then spaces would be represent projects. That would be the most secure method and should cover the scenario you need.

David Sankey January 27, 2014

Many thanks Davin. As a newbie I needed someone to confirm confirm my finding.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events