Is it possible to export a Jira workflow diagram and display it in a confluence page?

Autumn Stibich October 6, 2021

I need to export a Jira (cloud) workflow and display the diagram in a confluence page. This behavior does not appear to be native using the existing workflow or XML export and I'm having trouble finding an app that will allow me to show the diagram in Confluence. Dynamically syncing with the workflow in Jira would be a plus and allowing interaction with the workflow to expand out transitions would be even better.

Any options out there?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2021

Hi @Autumn Stibich 

This would be a cool thing to do but there is no feature to export a workflow and display it in a page.

Some of the information related to the workflow can be fetched using REST API, take a look at this page. So the only way I can think of is to create a page using a script and use Jira REST API to get whatever details we can fetch for a workflow. On Jira server using Java APIs we can get a lot of information related to a workflow but not on cloud.

Ravi

Autumn Stibich October 20, 2021

Thank you, Ravi - much appreciated. I ended up taking a screenshot and imbedding the image in my Confluence page. 

For anyone else that finds this question, the Glass app 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219628/glass-project-documentation-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

allows export of the workflow text (not the diagram unfortunately) along with other project level details which may work for some.

Daniel Lizik March 23, 2022

Hi Ravi, so you think it would be possible to create a confluence plugin that displays the workflow on a page? I often get questions from people without access to see the entire workflow graph about the status transitions. It would be very helpful to be able to spit out the static SVG on a page somewhere.

Balázs Szakál [META-INF]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2022

Hi @Autumn Stibich , 

Im the creator of the Glass apps! :) 

Currently Workflow images can not be extracted from Jira Cloud through API or any legit way (on premise its working). What we could do is to rebuild the whole image from the transition information we gathered. This would be a bigger effort to implement, but feel free to vote on this idea in our ideabox or contact our support!

Like Rinaldi Michael likes this
7 votes
StingyJack November 12, 2021

The workflow diagrams are displayed as SVG, which is a graphics format that probably all browsers support. The differernce between conventional images and SVG is that SVG diagrams will look like HTML. 

So for JIRA cloud, when you are viewing the workflow you can right click on it and choose inspect element. In the window that opens, scroll up until you see an `<svg` tag. Right click that and choose copy element, then paste it into a text file and save it with an `.svg` extension.  You can now double click to open the file and it should launch in a browser and show the diagram. Some adjustment to the height, width, and viewport may be needed depending on how you want to show it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events