Is it possible to export Confluence 3.5.x spaces and import into 5.6.x?

Nick Reilingh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2014

I'm in a bit of a weird situation – my workgroup has access to an instance of confluence that is horrendously out of date, and managed by a department that is not capable of adequately supporting it. We've been using this old instance since it's still the best tool available to us, but now we are looking to spin up our own instance that we will manage ourselves.

Of course, all of our confluence pages are still in a small collection of spaces on the outdated server. Is it possible to export our spaces (only some, not all of the spaces on the server) from confluence 3.5 and then have 5.6 import and simultaneously upgrade that data?

If not, what would be the best course of action? Consider that upgrading the 3.5 instance first is not an option.

(My level is that of a power user and space admin on confluence 3.5 – I do not have any experience administering confluence yet.)

1 answer

0 votes
Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2014

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry, but upgrading your installation seems the only option...

Alternativly you can setup a new 3.5 instance and upgrade this instance to 5.6. You can get your data there by using the xml-backup option in the admin dashboard.

Since the storage format changed from 3.5 to 4.0 there is no other option besides doing it manually...

Regards

Steve

P.S.: Upgrading a confluence instance shouldn't be that complicated wink

Nick Reilingh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2014

The dept. in control of the old instance has had a renewed license for months, but at this point I just have to assume the upgrade is never going to happen. :( I'm trying to acquire a community license for this whole project; you think that would let me do a "new" installation of 3.5? Ugh.

Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2014

yes, that should work, and the new installation can than be upgraded to 5.6

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events