Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a super group using other groups as members

Carlos Eduarte June 9, 2017

I have 3 different groups created (g1, g2, g3).  Can I create a supergroup and configure the members as members of the individual sub-groups ?

3 answers

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

For more about nested groups in Confluence please see Managing Nested Groups.

Carlos Eduarte June 9, 2017

I saw that my installation had this configured correctly. However, when I try to perform a 'join' operation from one sub-group to the parent group,  I'm getting an error saying I don't have Permissions to perform the operation. I am an administrator. Is there something else that needs to be configured first ?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Is it possible that the parent group is in an external directory and the external directory is read only? In that case you would not have permission to write to the read only directory by adding the subgroups. It is not common for Confluence administrators to set up write access to an external directory, like LDAP.

If the external directory is read-only with local groups you should be able to add groups from the external directory into parent groups that reside in the internal Confluence directory.

1 vote
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Dear Carlos,

It is indeed possible to have Nested Groups within JIRA. However, you will have to enable it from the directories page and some other rules apply. See; 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-nested-groups-861253195.html?_ga=2.237073731.2113350370.1497029890-596414308.1495112396

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Prepend

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

There can also be performance degredation with turing on nested groups. We had a it turned on for a while, but it slowed the system down so we removed the nested groups.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events