Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create ID's for web elements

shawn.carsten December 17, 2021

Hello,  

I'm new to Confluence.  I'm trying to interact with our Confluence pages using Excel Visual Basic.  In order to do so I need the 'element ID's" from the html.  (right click and hit 'Inspect' on the web page).   However, none of the elements I've created with a template appear to have element ID's associated with them.  Can someone tell me how to add element ID's to the tables, columns, text boxes, drop downs, etc on the pages I've created?

2 answers

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

@shawn.carsten That would require you to be able to edit the way the HTML is generated to ensure the elements had an ID.  I am not aware of anyway to do this on Server and would guess it is not possible on cloud.  I am not aware of any apps that provide this functionality either.  

There are some marketplace apps that allow you to add your own HTML on a page but this would be very different from what you were asking for.

shawn.carsten December 21, 2021

"There are some marketplace apps that allow you to add your own HTML on a page but this would be very different from what you were asking for."

That sounds like it's exactly what I'm asking for.  Ideally I was hoping it could be done in confluence, but if I have to use a third party marketplace app then I guess that's what I have to do.  Could you tell me which marketplace you're referring to, or do you know a specific app that has that capability?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021
0 votes
Katie A December 5, 2023

Shawn, this is a late reply, but may help future googlers like myself.

I found how to do this by putting your table inside of the "Advanced Tables - Tables Plus" macro. This gives the table the ID you put in the macro, so you can use your CSS/etc to reference it. Unfortunately it makes the page messy if you have many tables b/c it's another macro container. (Also idk how much it costs. It's included in my work confluence macro list).  I wish the build in tables could have an id though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events