Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to always show the full breadcrumb navigation?

Louise Beilfuß May 22, 2012

In our confluence there is a breadcrumb navigation at the top of each page, which reflects the current position inside the page hierarchy. By default this list will be collapsed, for example:

Overview > Product X > ... > Current Page

To use it for navigation it is necessary to first click the dots to expand to a full list, then select the page you want to go to. When working with it a lot this extra click can become incredibly annoying, especially since we have hierarchies that would easily fit the available space in the navigation bar.

Is it possible to set a value somewhere so that the breadcrumb navi will be displayed in its full extent by default?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This has been discussed here:

http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?messageID=257217745&#257217745

The suggested user option to always shorten or always expand is what I was looking for. However, this post is form 2005 and contains only suggestions. Has this been implemented? If yes, where can I find this little checkbox?

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

The easiest way to do this is to simulate a click on the ellipses when the page is loaded. To do that, add the following to your Custom HTML "HEAD" section:

<script>

AJS.toInit(function(){

AJS.$('#ellipsis strong').click();

});

</script>

Louise Beilfuß May 28, 2012

Thanks! I asked our admin to look into it (I can't edit anything ;) ) and will come back to this once I've got his answer.

Robert Sadler December 9, 2013

Matthew,

I know this is an old post but this solution was perfect for my needs. By adding the above mentioned script in the 'Custom HTML' section (Dashboard > Administration > Look and Feel > Custom HTML) you can show the breadcrumbs WITHOUT modifying the breadcrumbs.vm in the install directory. I don't have access to the install directory but I do have access to the Administration section.

Thanks for the easy solution.
-Rob

2 votes
Lisha Li April 25, 2013

Atlassian proposes the following 'use at your risk' operation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Disable+Hiding+(Ellipsing)+of+Breadcrumbs

0 votes
Nancy Jaiswal November 10, 2017

we have released Space Hierarchy & Breadcrumbs plugin which shows the full breadcrumbs at top of page. One can also create space hierarchy as per need (as for example a product related spaces or versions of product etc). Maybe this is one of solution you are looking for.

0 votes
Ross Bender November 11, 2015

I did the same thing as @Matthew J. Horn but wrapped it in a try-catch block just to be doubly safe:

&lt;script&gt;
// show breadcrumbs on page load
try {
    AJS.toInit(function() {
        AJS.$("#ellipsis").click();
    });
} catch(err) {
}
&lt;/script&gt;

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events