• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • Is it possible to add a guest, who can only view/ edit a single page, and specifically not access content that is restricted only to confluence-users?

Is it possible to add a guest, who can only view/ edit a single page, and specifically not access content that is restricted only to confluence-users?

George Beckett March 6, 2017

Hi everyone,

I want to create a page in which to plan a workshop. The organising committee involves people from outside of my organisation. I'd like to give them permission to view and edit the page, though not to see other parts of my site – even those parts that are simply limited to 'confluence-users' group.

I have tried creating a Test account and then removing it from the confluence-users group, but then I can not see anything – not even the page for which I've specifically added the Test account with view/ edit permissions.

Any suggestions are much appreciated,

Georgeo.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

Yes, you can do this, but you're going to have to work through your permissions.

Your user needs a simple "can use" permission, which means being a member of a group that has that global permission.  The simple default case is that everyone is put into "confluence users" which has that right.  But this group is often used in space settings too, so everyone gets access simply because they're a valid user.

You have two options - either unpick the above, so spaces use other users/groups to grant access, with "confluence users" meaning only "can log in", or create a "readers" group that has "can use" and access to the space you want to let them in to.

On top of this, the stuff above only covers the space.  You are going to need to restrict the rest of the space as well to hide all the pages they should not see from them.

0 votes
George Beckett March 6, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the detailed response. It points me in the direction I've been going, in that I've:

• Created a new group called 'workshop-organisers' that contains the Test account
  • Created a new space called 'workshop' in which I've added 'workshop-organisers' to the groups that have permission to access the space.
  • Removed the Test account from 'confluence-users' group and made it a member of the 'workshop-organisers' group, in the hope it can see the 'workshop' space but no others.

However, when logged in as the test user, I can't see any spaces/ pages at all (not even ones with anonymous access permissions). I suspect this is because I don't know how to make the 'workshop-organisers' group a "can use" group – I don't see anything on the Space Tools/ Permissions page, nor the Group/ Edit dialogue. Perhaps I'm missing the point of what you are saying?

Thanks again,

Georgeo.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

Sorry, the "can use" for groups is set in "global permissions", not a space thing.

George Beckett March 7, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks. I worked out a way to make my new group a 'can use' group, as follows:

•     Click on the Cog Wheel configuration menu and select 'General Configuration' from the pull-down list.
  •     Select 'Global Permissions' from the navigation list in the left-hand pane.
  •     Select '[?]' link, next to Use Confluence in the table, to pop up hint in which select 'Site Administration' link (there is probably a more direct route to the Site Administration page, though I haven't found it).
  •     Add the new group to the list for providing access and select 'Can Sign in'.
  •     Return to Global Permissions and check 'Can use' is enabled in Confluence.

Having done this, I created a new space, which is visible to the 'workshop-organisers' group, rather than try to arrange fine-grain permissions to restrict the 'workshop-organisers' group to just specific pages in an existing space. That option seemed risky and onerous.

Thanks again!

Georgeo.

G7Dev April 17, 2017

I'd like to add that the page restriction feature (little lock in the upper left corner of the page) also helps implement this feature.

Now I'm looking for a way to quickly apply these restrictions to all pages in a space.

G7Dev April 17, 2017

By the looks of it, all child pages should inherit the restrictions from the parent.  However, this isn't working for me and this article didn't resolve the issue.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/child-page-does-not-inherit-page-restrictions-from-parent-page-637960213.html

Thoughts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events