Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible group users so that you can easily @tag a whole team?

Kelly Watts January 17, 2017

At the moment to tag all members of a team, e.g. when sharing a page to a whole team or tagging a whole team in a comment, I need to "@tag" each user individually. This is time consuming and there is a risk I won't remember to tag everyone.

It would be really useful if I could assign users to a team and use an "@engineering" or "@specific-project" tag to notify users who are part of a team.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

Hi Kelly,

(What you call a "tag" is actually called a "mention", which might help you if you're looking for documentation/help on it.)

What you're looking for are called groups, and they're part of user management. You can create groups and add users to them.  Whilst you can't mention a group, you can share a page with a whole group using the Share button at the top right of a page by using the group name.

Also, there is a feature called autowatch that automatically sets a user to watch a page if they create, edit or comment on it.  Any user can also choose to watch any page they have access to.  If you're the space administrator you can also manage watchers and add users to the watch list for a page of entire space, although you can't set an entire group to watch a page/space, you have to add them individually.  Watching is a good way of getting Confluence to push notifications to people automatically.

One final suggestion: You can set up a group email address - e.g. engineers@yourcompany.com - and set it to autoforward mails to all of the engineers. Then set up a Confluence user with that email address, and just mention that user.  The notification will go to engineers@yourcompany.com, and will be autoforwarded to all of the engineers. It's a bit out of scope, but it's an effective way of managing the notifications for large groups.

Kelly Watts January 19, 2017

Thanks for your help, Rob!

I'll try the email workaround.

It looks like this is a common problem - Atlassian pointed me towards an existing suggestion request, CONF-23015.

They suggested looking at the Page Users Macros as well.

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2017

The Page Users macro looked really useful....until I realised that it's for server versions only and, like you, we're on Cloud sad 

But that issue has got nearly 600 votes (including 1 more from me), which is a lot for a Confluence issue, so hopefully Atlassian will prioritise it and get it done soon.  Thanks for letting me know about it smile

Like # people like this
Sabrina Aberman April 26, 2019

That app has also been archived since :(

3 votes
Anthony Miglioranzi April 7, 2022

You'll need to create a "Team", more background here.   Once you add the team members to the Team, you'll have the ability to tag the group in Confluence.  Additional guidance here.

1 vote
Dirk Brutscher June 7, 2021

Check out our "GroupMentions" app for Atlassian Confluence (Server and Data Center), it may solve your notification problem:

GroupMentions App in the Atlassian Marketplace  

GroupMentions1.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events