Is it possible de prefill a page title based on a template variable ?

Hey there,

I'm trying to define a page title though a template by using variable. Is it a way to do that ?

Something like pagetitle=$myvariable

Thanks a lot

6 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

I dont know if there is a easier way, but you can create a user macro to do  that. I have tested and this works:

## @noparams
<script>

$( "input[name='variableValues.VARIABLENAME']" ).change(function(){
console.log($(this).val());

$("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val($(this).val())

})
</script>

Note: $( "input[name='variableValues.VARIABLENAME']" ) --> Replace VARIABLENAME for the name of your variable. I used input for text variable, but you will need to use select for list variable.

Thanks for answer.

But how can I create an user macro if I'm only a space administrator ?

Check if you have the html macro and you will only need to include the script ; otherwise, you will need to ask your admin

Nope. I need to see with admins. Thanks. If I'll put this script in my template, when I will create a page based on this template, it will automatically copy my variable in the title section when I go on step 2 ?

Is this an option in Confluence Cloud? I can't find it in the General Configuration menu that the Confluence 5.9 documentation talks about -- but that the Confluence Cloud documentation doesn't mention :-(

This works, but I'm trying to have the page title contain other static text.  I can't quite figure out this language.

Basically, I want the title to be something like "IT-DOC - $Application$ Recovery Plan" where $Application$ is the variable that the user enters when creating the page from the template.

Can anyone help with this?

thanks

A bit on the side, but where do you find out about stuff like 

$("input[name='variableValues.VARIABLNAME']")

I am completely lost on making User Macros with the slightest finesse :-( 

My need is that in my template I created a variable.

I used the template, fill the variable and go on step 2.

In this step, I want that the name of my page is prefilled with the variable I've filled on step 1. Is it possible ?

Is it possible to add this variable inside a component in the template ?

Hi,

You can use the add-page-form macro from Linking Plugin. It is a free plugin. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.customware.confluence.plugin.linking

Regards

Nelson

And is it possible to add this variable in a component ? For example a JIRA Macro ?

It's an old topic but I still can not find a solution for it in Confluence 5.10.

As Raspdealer has written I would like to achieve the same two simple(?) things:

• use variable values of templates in the pagetitle
  • use variable values of templates in macros

Anybody has accomplished that somehow?

Thanks

1. Create a user macro that accepts a parameter. I slightly modified the code Nelson provided.

2. Add a variable to the template page (use IE and not Chrome). $Meeting Date

3. Add a section to the template page, type in the following and then press Enter: {mtg-date-page:pageName = Weekly Status Meeting}

User Macro Code: 

## @param pageName=Page Name|type=string|desc=This is the general name of the page. It will be appended to the date value which is stored in the Meeting Date variable on the page template.
<script>
var pageTitle= "$parampageName";

$("input[name='variableValues.Meeting Date']" ).change(function(){
console.log($(this).val());
$("form[name='filltemplateform']").find("input[name='title']").val($(this).val() + " " + pageTitle)
})
</script>

That works great for one variable in a template, but what if I want to set the page title based upon two variables in a template?

Hello Ian,

Did you find a solution for your issue?

I'm struggling with slightly similar challagne. I would like my template to be creating a pages with a name composed out of three variables. and I still haven't figured out how to do that.

Best regards,

Marcin

Hello,

Another question to community.

Let say that a template request a variable called "$variable1" beeing a string. How to define in a macro a parameter/variable "$variable2" having the same value as "$variable1" from the template?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm not programmer.

Thanks and regards,

Marcin

I've created the user macro and added it to the top of my template page but it's not creating the title automatically. I'm using the "create from template" button on the main page to call the template that has the macro on it.

What Body processing option should be chosen?

Any suggestions?

It would be nice to be able to insert custom variables in the title parameter of the Create from Template Macro.  Anyone have any ideas when this will be possible?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

603 views 8 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you