Is custom CSS not allowed in Confluence Cloud?

I don't see this option as listed in the help documentation.

4 answers

1 vote

Your instinct is correct - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/restricted-functions-in-confluence-cloud-734070955.html for the list of things that are restricted on Confluence Cloud (custom css is buried in the middle)

Why are these things restricted ?

Is my money somehow worth less than a corporate blue-chip ?

Most things that are restricted in Cloud are restricted because Atlassian support do not have the time, money or will to support it when a user gets it wrong.

A lot of the restrictions have been implemented based on the volume of support calls received that lead to lots of time chasing down configuration mistakes on server.  CSS was one of the more expensive ones.

If you find apps which do theming and allow CSS, that's fine for support, because Atlassian have low-cost routes to fix it - they turn off the app and if the problem goes away, it becomes the customer and app vendors problem, not theirs.

Then perhaps I should cancel my subscription entirely and seek an alternate online cloud solution.

Any content tool such as this should at the very least provide custom CSS support and configurable classes placed on elements.

Seems to me like the excuse of "excessive support" simply suggests that cloud solutions are not viable. You can't simply remove functionality because user's get confused. It just needs better documentation to allow the users to not get in a mess to start with.

I'd point out that Confluene is a tool for collaboration, not being pretty.  Personally, I'd like a little more control over the look and feel, but if I'm going down to css level, I'm probably going too far.

When you have users who are confused and likely to make a mess that costs you time to fix for them, you have two options - charge them more so you can afford to fix their problems, or stop them doing making a mess somehow.  In this case, Atlassian chose the latter.

The problems they've burnt support time on in the past are because of the users who don't read the documentation or learn css properly.  It doesn't matter how wonderful your docs are if they're ignored.

"not being pretty"... ok... I give up... you win...

Confluence is just an example of a company that cuts features to save money. If you feel you can find a product that suits your needs, and if you feel that confluence is missing core features that your money should cover; then stop giving confluence your money. It's your right as a consumer to vote with your buck.

I'm afraid your statement about cutting features is completely wrong.  It's about support, as already discussed above.

Voting with your wallet - yup.  I'd challenge you to find a SAAS competitor to confluence that lets you break it and hence impose support costs at a similar or lower price though.

1 vote
Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Nov 02, 2016

There is no official way to use custom CSS, but there is a workaround. As part of the Content Formatting Plugin (included in Confluence Cloud), you have the CSS macro. You can embed this in one particular page, or you can also include this for all pages in a space/instance by including it in the space/instance header/footer options in the following format:

{css}
//CSS code goes here
{css}

You can also add CSS to the Styles field of some macros instead of using the CSS macro.

Didn't work for me; I put the following in my header and footer and it apparently gets overridden by something in Confluence Cloud during page load; element.style goes back to #515151

{style}#title-text{color: red}{style}

{css} is no longer a valid macro in Confluence Cloud

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jul 19, 2017

If you want to change the title color, then the following should work on Confluence Cloud which hasn't been upgraded to the new style:

{style}#title-text a{color: red}{style}

If you've been upgraded to the new ADG3 style, first of all, header and footer text doesn't appear to be working (as of this moment) at all. Secondly, even if it was working, the content of the page is now displayed in an iframe, so the style macro will only affect page content and can no longer affect anything outside of the page content frame.

We must be using the new ADG3 style.

WHY ATLASSIAN WHY?????

LET MY CSS WORK!!!!

Ask them how many support calls they've had that ended in "client has messed up".  Wouldn't you want to shut those down?

@Nic I would agree but they support site-wide and Space-wide stylesheets with self-hosted configurations.

That's got nothing to do with supporting Cloud.  Different beast entirely.

It seems that CSS in the header/footer does not longer work in the new layout.

Does anyone have a solution for this instead adding the css-macro to every page?

Possibly: in talking with some managed hosting providers, one mentioned they would theme our site based upon this add-on -- which is compatible with Atlassian Confluence Cloud: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.refinedwiki.confluence.cloud.refinedtheme/cloud/overview

Kerching.... $$$

It seems that in the current cloud you can put this into the footer code and it works.

{style}
code {
color: #c0341d;
}
{style}

This is kinda hacky - I would very much prefer the unsupported macro warning to be on the footer input form in admin, not when it's rendered, but I can hide that for now and kinda understand why it's there.

FYI; I've omitted that code to hide the warning, if you know what you're doing you'll find it yourself - if you don't know enough to be able to do that I'd wager you're probably in the group that caused this feature to be disabled with support requests...

Hi!

Using the footer to hide the sidebar doesn't work for me, but if it works for you I'm sure I did something wrong. Can you verify that it works?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,166 views 20 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you