Is a google doc searchable in Confluence?

Susan Rubin-Stewart March 31, 2018

I added some information to my confluence site via Google sheets and I swear the information appeared in searches, but now it does not.  Is there a way I can make it appear in searches?

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2018

Hi Susan,

If you use the widget connector to embed a Google doc, the doc is not really attached and stored in Confluence. Rather, an updated feed is created between Google docs and Confluence. Because the doc is stored in Google drive and is only being displayed in Confluence (hence the ability to edit in Google docs and see the changes reflected in Confluence) the doc is not part of Confluence's index so the search does not find it.

I tested on Confluence 6.8 to make sure.

I don't have a workaround but will be happy to hear anyone else's ideas.

Thanks,

Ann

Susan Rubin-Stewart April 8, 2018

Thank you Anne.   I thought so too, but I recently found other information from a Google docs in search.   You can see the last response in the file below sourced from a google docs.

Google Doc appears in search.GIF

Loretta Altman-Pollack June 17, 2019

My company is using cloud version of Confluence. I wanted to get a more recent update if I add the https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216484/google-drive-docs-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=reviews

Will the information be searchable in Confluence if I "embed" in all the ways that Herry Reiss mentioned below?

My company has a LOT of information contained on Google Doc's, and the message right now is that they will need to "cut and paste" all that content (some contains many links to other documents within documents, etc). So before I absolutely say they need to do this, I wanted to see if this drive for confluence can work? 

"by Harry Reiss on 2017-12-15Plugin adds several Confluence macros which mean you can embed file names, file lists (useful) or content from files (e.g. spreadsheets, PDFs) hosted in Google Drive. It's not possible to find embedded files via Confluence search, however."

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events