Is Confluence the right product for this purpose?

DavidPaul Doyle June 13, 2022

I have a problem to solve and I'm not 100% sure Confluence is the right solution for it. I hope you can help. Here is the situation:

We are building a website and mobile app. We want to be able to deliver 1) training, 2) exercises, 3) digital tools, 4) surveys, etc., to our users via the website and mobile app. Right now, all of this content/data is in various formats, i.e. excel, word, PDF, paper, etc. We have nearly 300 such items. Some are short. Some are quite long. When we delivery all of this content to our users, we will want to measure their engagement and success with all of this content/data in significant detail. All interactions with all of this content will need to be measured and associated with each another to dynamically drive engagement and positive outcomes. In order to dynamically deliver all of this content/data to our users, we need to get all of it into a single product database, so it can be delivered, tracked, and measured in a personalized way for each unique user. This would be the LIVE product database. 

So, we are looking for a tool or system that we can use to input all of this data/content into now so that it can be easily imported or migrated into the eventual product database that our developers will create, which our final live product will use.

Is Confluence the right product for us to input all of this content/data into? If so, what are the best practices for doing so, so that the migration of all of the content into the eventual live product database is as easy as possible for our developers? I assume that in order to accomplish this level of detailed and sophisticated documentation that precise organization, structure, and labeling would be required in order to have sufficient detail for the content to be migrated to a product database to successfully deliver our end goal.

If Confluence is not capable of serving this purpose, what product would be the best fit to accomplish this goal?

Please Note (added later): None of this content/data will be public. It is 100% intellectual IP. In addition, we are only trying to find a temporary place to input all of this content/data from all of these various formats that they are in, and document the logic that needs to be incorporated into their delivery, so that the actual programmers/dev team can take all of this content and build it out in their code. The Dev team will have to literally program all of the content into Code and migrate all of the content/data into a real database. Right now, all of this content is in various formats that cannot be used automatically or digitally. We need a repository for the content/data to be digitally entered into and then the logic and workflows of that well documented and described, and labeled. That is all we are trying to accomplish. Then the programing team, the people who actually build our platform, will have to take all of that and turn it into code and input it into an actual database that "runs" all of the learning and reporting.

So the question is... Is Confluence an ideal temporarily repository to house all of this data/content so that the dev team can easily understand all of the content/data, the logic and flow that needs to be programmed, and easily migrate all the content/data into code and a real database?

My partner and I are not the programers, nor the people who will be delivering any of this. Nor will Confluence every be hosting and delivering this content/data to anyone. We are looking for an intermediary system to document , input, and transcribe all of this content/data that is not in a usable digital format into something that a programmer can take, understand, and implement in an actual dynamically delivered platform.

Confluence = temporarily documentation and holding of content/data

Is Confluence good for this purpose? If so, what special qualities does it have compared to documenting everything in Google Drive? We need to give our programmers/dev team the easiest path to digest and implement all of this content/data into a usable system.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your help. 

2 answers

0 votes
Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

Hi @DavidPaul Doyle ,

welcome to the Atlassian community :)

Confluence is powerful, and can be customized with apps, here are some of my thoughts and things to consider:

- with cloud, you don't have access to code, so you will have to make own customisations or install and pay for apps doing stuff

- access - you will have to open your Confluence and all materials to public, or pay for license per user (for Atlassian product + for apps -> which licenses should match the base product) so e.g if you start with team of 10 people, but looking for 100, 1000 customers outside of company you might end up paying for more users than you need. Unless thats the goal to make those materials and trainings public

- other stuff to think about: payment processing, granting access, tracking progress and results, connecting to database, making customizations, changing the appearance - eg If you will need landing page for marketing funnels etc. 

In my opinion, based on this short input - it's not worth it :)

However you can try to contact some Atlassian Partner and try to get an estimate and their expertise based on details: https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/ 

DavidPaul Doyle June 14, 2022

Thank you for answering my question. I can see why you responded the way you did. I did not describe my situation properly. Let me add something here and then also edit the above for other people.

Please note: None of this content/data will be public. It is 100% intellectual IP. In addition, we are only trying to find a temporary place to input all of this content/data from all of these various formats that they are in, and document the logic that needs to be incorporated into their delivery, so that the actual programmers/dev team can take all of this content and build it out in their code. The Dev team will have to literally program all of the content into Code and migrate all of the content/data into a real database. Right now, all of this content is in various formats that cannot be used automatically or digitally. We need a repository for the content/data to be digitally entered into and then the logic and workflows of that well documented and described, and labeled. That is all we are trying to accomplish. Then the programing team, the people who actually build our platform, will have to take all of that and turn it into code and input it into an actual database that "runs" all of the learning and reporting.

So the question is... Is Confluence an ideal temporarily repository to house all of this data/content so that the dev team can easily understand all of the content/data, the logic and flow that needs to be programmed, and easily migrate all the content/data into code and a real database?

My partner and I are not the programers, nor the people who will be delivering any of this. Nor will Confluence every be hosting and delivering this content/data to anyone. We are looking for an intermediary system to document , input, and transcribe all of this content/data that is not in a usable digital format into something that a programmer can take, understand, and implement in an actual dynamically delivered platform.

Confluence = temporarily documentation and holding of content/data

Is Confluence good for this purpose? If so, what special qualities does it have compared to documenting everything in Google Drive? We need to give our programmers/dev team the easiest path to digest and implement all of this content/data into a usable system.

Thanks for your help.

0 votes
RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2022

Looks promising, depending on how accurately the algorithms identify related material. Will this be available for spaces/pages that use the legacy template? 

DavidPaul Doyle June 14, 2022

Sorry. I was not clear. Please see my answer above. Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events