Is Confluence a good tool to use for public facing Release Notes?

Sami Atieh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 7, 2024

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to use for my company's release notes.

Currently, we write up the release notes on a Word doc and email them out to existing clients and prospects.

Is Confluence a suitable replacement for this method? We use Confluence for Product Requirement docs currently. I noticed also that Confluence has a blog posting option. Is this another option for release notes?

Looking for advice and best practices, maybe Confluence isn't the right tool?

Thank you

4 answers

3 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Sami Atieh 

We're using Confluence for documentation and the release notes :) 

Don't let the looks, fool you, the site is built using Confluence and Scroll Viewport for Confluence.

We can easily pull stuff from the actual docs, Jira tickets, have subject-matter experts, POs, etc. to review both the docs and the release notes in one go... Process-wise and technically it's super easy as everyone has a seat on Jira and Confluence.

Also, we can easily build TWO versions of the release notes - public and internal - using just a single Confluence page (there's an app for that...)

3 votes
Answer accepted
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Sami Atieh and welcome!

Can your release notes be public and basically accessible to anyone? If so, a good option is a space with anonymous access if you have multiple Confluence pages, or a public link if you only have one page with the release notes on it.

If you want to restrict access to the release notes, you could use guest access to a dedicated Confluence space.

The blog posts you've mentioned are not public per se, they can only be made public with the options I mentioned above. The use case for them is mainly internal company news.

Hope this helps!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2024

Confluence will work, as others suggested, but if you are using Jira to run your development efforts, there is an app that you should know about: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1230872/released-ai-release-notes-changelog-automation-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

0 votes
Sami Atieh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 9, 2024

Thank you all for the feedback. Same question for a help center. I need a place for our how-to docs for current customers only, not for public use. I'm thinking Confluence may not be the best approach for this, has anyone used it for this purpose?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events