Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Knowledge Base for anyone inside our company to access, not just Users

Cindy Snow January 12, 2023

I set up a Jira Service Management project for customer tickets and an external knowledge base that customers can access with a portal login. That seems to be set up correctly.

For our internal knowledge base needs, I created a separate project inside Jira Service Management and linked it to a separate Confluence space.

How exactly do I set the permissions in this Confluence space so that anyone inside my company can search for and view knowledge base articles, even those who aren't Confluence users? Or do these permissions need to be set in the Jira Service Management project?

In other words, these are my requirements for the internal KB:

• External customers can not view or create accounts to view
  • Anyone internal with our company domain can view with an Atlassian login (but should not have to be a paid Confluence user)
  • Confluence users or Jira Service Management agents can create and edit KB articles

This seems basic but I can't seem to figure it out. Help! Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2023

Hi @Cindy Snow 

Can I just confirm:

• You have two JSM Projects in the same instance
  • One is for external customers, the other for internal employees
  • Some of the internal employees do not have a Confluence licence

I assume you're restricting access to each using these instructions?

If yes, I'd assume that this will also restrict access to any linked Knowledge Base articles - i.e one set for customers, the other for employees - and it should work.

From an access perspective - JSM sees customers and "employees without a licence" as the same thing - Customers 

---

The alternative you can explore is giving employees without a licence guest access to Confluence, which would also work beyond JSM. See this help page for how to activate this beta feature.

Ste

Cindy Snow January 13, 2023

[Moving this post to reply instead of creating a new comment]

Ohhh... I think something just clicked for me.

Yes, your bullets are correct, I was trying to restrict access on the project level according to the instructions you linked.

I was getting confused because my options look slightly different, with this option "Anyone allowed on the customer access settings". I think now I understand what it means to default to the "customer access settings".

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 12.13.07 PM.png

Is there a way to add customers by email domain to a project rather than typing in individual email addresses?

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 12.30.00 PM.png

It seems like I have to choose one or the other:

• Option 1: Use the "Customer access" settings at the site level to automatically grant access to our internal approved domain. Default to this setting for the internal project. For the external project, restrict to only external customer emails added one by one as customers?

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 12.23.37 PM.png

OR

• Option 2: Use "Customer access" settings at the site level to list internal and external customer domains, but then restrict the internal project to internal customers by adding each internal email address one by one.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 12.24.17 PM.png 

Am I correct in my thinking that these are the two options?

Thank you so much for your help!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

Hi @Cindy Snow 

I think so! Apart from Option 3, which is have two Jira/Confluence instances completely separate, from one for internal teams, one for external!

You'll still need to test this to ensure it works, but if in Customer Access you're going to "Allow Customers to create accounts", you probably want to go with Option 2 so customers who join the site can see their help desk?

---

There are ways to add users in bulk to a Project - see this help page.

To clarify the Excel option, you can just copy a full column of emails straight into the "Add Customers" box and press "Ok", and they should split themselves out :)

Ste

Cindy Snow January 16, 2023

Excellent. Thank you @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ !

0 votes
Cindy Snow January 13, 2023

Moving my post to comment under Steven's thread...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events