Installing Atlassian SDK on macOS

Igor Nikolaev November 4, 2019

Are there any pointers on how to install Atlassian SDK on macOS Catalina?

Whenever I try to do so I get the following error message from install4j installer: 

You must be logged in as a root user when installing this program

3 answers

0 votes
Calum February 2, 2021

I've just had to work around this too... the solution is to open the DMG file, then run:

sudo /Volumes/atlassian-plugin-sdk/Atlassian\ Plugin\ SDK\ 8.2.6\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub

(You may have to change the version number if it's been updated by the time you read this.)

0 votes
Martin November 9, 2020

Would it be possible to fix the problem? I am not allowed to have Homebrew(don't ask). Another alternative would be to give explicit, step by step, directions to install it manually.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello Igor,

Thank you for raising this. I'm getting the same error as you.

I'm checking with the team, but I was able to install the SDK using the Homebrew instructions for Linux:

If you don't have Homebrew installed, you can follow the instructions on brew.sh.

Can you give that a try and let me know if it works?

Regards,

Shannon 

Igor Nikolaev November 7, 2019

Hi Shannon,

I'm not a Homebrew user and installed SDK manually, but I would prefer to install it from the package.

It should be a matter of configuration according to install4j documentation if I understand it correctly (see p. 98): https://www.ej-technologies.com/resources/install4j/help/doc/install4j.pdf

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

Igor,

No worries! I reported it to the team, and have logged it as a bug below:

• ATLASSDK-190 Atlassian Plugin SDK Installer returns "must be logged in as root" error on macOS Catalina (10.15)

You should be able to view it as well, so please confirm with me. If you vote or watch the case, you'll receive updates once it's resolved.

Take care!

Regards,

Shannon

Like Ivan Lima likes this
Georg Federmann September 23, 2020

hi Atlassian team,

just verified that the ticket referenced above was closed with a reference to the Homebrew installer. You might want to update the Atlassian SDK Developer documentation accordingly:
https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/downloads/

Kind regards,

Georg

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2021

Hi Georg,

Apologies for the late response! The referenced ticket is closed because there is an internal ticket to track its progress. The usage of Homebrew was my suggestion for a workaround in the meantime.

We discovered what caused the problem and are currently working on the fix. I will update here if I find any information about when that is released!

Thank you, and take care.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2021

Hello @Georg Federmann@Martin, and @Calum, and anyone else who has experienced this issue.

I have confirmation from the team that this is now working as expected. I tested, and I can install SDK 8.2.6 on Catalina version 10.15.7 without the use of Homebrew.

If you are still encountering any issues, could you confirm the SDK version and your macOS version?

Thank you!
Shannon

Calum February 8, 2021

The 8.2.6 installer still doesn't work for me on 10.15.7 without the workaround I mentioned. The installer has no permission to write to /Applications unless you're an admin user, so it has to be run from command line with sudo instead.

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 23.20.24.pngScreenshot 2021-02-08 at 23.22.14.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events