Inserting existing variable into space template

ssanfelice January 22, 2020

Per the instructions:

Hint: Type $ and the variable name, then press Enter to add a new variable or to select an existing variable from a list of suggestions. The suggestions dialog shows variables already defined in this template.

This is not working in the cloud, using chrome browser.

And now when I insert new variable from the menu, I receive the following error when saving:

'Can't save changes Multiple template variables which have the same name "Country" but different parameters.'

It is the same variable with the same parameters.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2020

Hello there,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! It's nice to meet you. Both issues are caused known bugs. 

• CONFCLOUD-68872 Typing $ to create or list template variables does not work

The error message you are running into is a result of the following bug:

• CONFCLOUD-67845 Multiple copies of a variable with the same name in the new template editor will not save until editing and saving each copy

There's no workaround for the first issue, but with the second one:

Editing and "saving" each of the duplicated variables will fix the issue that causes the editor to think they have different parameters, and will allow saving of the page, however, it will only allow it for that particular save.

Let me know if you have any troubles with that.

Regards,

Shannon

ssanfelice January 31, 2020

Thank you.

1 vote
Yann SAUTREUIL January 22, 2021

Hello @Shannon S , I understand there is bug opened in order to use template variables, use them I assume in plain text / page content.

What about widgets? If I want to reuse a variable value in JQL in order to display a list of JIRA issues, am I supposed to type $myvariable in JQL edit field and it will ok once I create my page using this template?

Consultant
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2021

Hi @Yann SAUTREUIL did you manage to solve this? I also need to use a variable in a JIRA widget. I want to filter by a specific label. I want the label to be entered as a variable.

Yann SAUTREUIL April 8, 2021

No answer so far, had to abandon the idea and could not leverage atlassian tools capabilities, too bad, more and more using confluence like a simple wiki site since we cannot always purchase tons of addons.

Like Consultant likes this
Consultant
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2021

Thank you, our current server implementation relies heavily on a user macro. I need to solve this before switching to server. I keep searching.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2021

Hi Yann,

My apologies. I had not seen your question earlier. The use of variables in JQL would be a better question for the Jira team, but I noticed they have a feature request for that within Jira:

• JRACLOUD-28088 Create and use Variables in Filters (Interested Jira data center users can find the DC equivalent linked as a related request.)

With the ability to create and use variables in JQL searches, you would theoretically be able to save it with a filter for use in your Jira widgets. There was also a conversation about using ScriptRunner with JQL instead of variables, Is there a way to use variables in JQL? It might help.

I would recommend raising a new question in the Jira collection since those users might be more familiar with JQL and have an alternative suggestion. You can also try the Atlassian Developer Community if you are interested in some programmatic solutions. I hope this helps!

Thank you, and take care.

Shannon

0 votes
Josh Latto
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2020

So is it not possible too use variables, right now? This seems like a pretty critical issue if you want to use your own templates. Why is the priority of that bug low? 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 10, 2020

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your question!

It's still possible to insert new variables by clicking the + > New Variable option in your template menu. The bug affects inserting existing variables or using the $ shortcut.

You can also contact the Cloud support team and they can take a look at your site and see if it's possible to use the legacy template editor or enable it for you.

Regarding the priority, it's in our backlog right now, so that priority can change at any time depending on the factors explained in our Cloud platform bug fixing policy. Please make sure to vote on that bug so we know how many users are affected! 

Let me know if you have any questions about that, and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Shannon

Josh Latto
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 10, 2020

What is the point of creating a new variable if you can't make use of it? Or is there a way to use a variable in the template via a method other than the $ shortcut? 

Like carl likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2020

Hello Josh,

No, unfortunately, at this time, it won't be possible to re-use existing variables in the new template editor. The workaround mentioned in the other bug I shared (CONFCLOUD-67845) states that you'd have to save it each time you re-use a variable name.

In the meantime, please ask the Support Team to help you with accessing the legacy template editor so you don't lose this feature.

Regards,

Shannon 

carl
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 29, 2021

This appears to have been addressed.  I can create a template, and create variables, and reuse the variables (either copy/paste) or just typing // New Variable and giving it the same name and type.

However, there's almost nothing I can do with a variable now.  I can't use it in a URL, in a code snippet, in a title, in a Jira query widget... I can just include it in a paragraph.   

Maybe not a lot of people use template variables these days, but I'm hoping to avoid having to build pages via the API.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events