It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Inserting existing variable into space template

Per the instructions:

Hint: Type $ and the variable name, then press Enter to add a new variable or to select an existing variable from a list of suggestions. The suggestions dialog shows variables already defined in this template.

This is not working in the cloud, using chrome browser.

And now when I insert new variable from the menu, I receive the following error when saving:

'Can't save changes Multiple template variables which have the same name "Country" but different parameters.'

It is the same variable with the same parameters.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello there,

Welcome to Atlassian Community! It's nice to meet you. Both issues are caused known bugs. 

• CONFCLOUD-68872 Typing $ to create or list template variables does not work

The error message you are running into is a result of the following bug:

• CONFCLOUD-67845 Multiple copies of a variable with the same name in the new template editor will not save until editing and saving each copy

There's no workaround for the first issue, but with the second one:

Editing and "saving" each of the duplicated variables will fix the issue that causes the editor to think they have different parameters, and will allow saving of the page, however, it will only allow it for that particular save.

Let me know if you have any troubles with that.

Regards,

Shannon

So is it not possible too use variables, right now? This seems like a pretty critical issue if you want to use your own templates. Why is the priority of that bug low? 

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your question!

It's still possible to insert new variables by clicking the + > New Variable option in your template menu. The bug affects inserting existing variables or using the $ shortcut.

You can also contact the Cloud support team and they can take a look at your site and see if it's possible to use the legacy template editor or enable it for you.

Regarding the priority, it's in our backlog right now, so that priority can change at any time depending on the factors explained in our Cloud platform bug fixing policy. Please make sure to vote on that bug so we know how many users are affected! 

Let me know if you have any questions about that, and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Shannon

What is the point of creating a new variable if you can't make use of it? Or is there a way to use a variable in the template via a method other than the $ shortcut? 

Hello Josh,

No, unfortunately, at this time, it won't be possible to re-use existing variables in the new template editor. The workaround mentioned in the other bug I shared (CONFCLOUD-67845) states that you'd have to save it each time you re-use a variable name.

In the meantime, please ask the Support Team to help you with accessing the legacy template editor so you don't lose this feature.

Regards,

Shannon 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

1,707 views 4 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you