Inserting Numbering column not resizeable in fixed width

Casey Maynard March 15, 2018

I have a table that is 'fixed' width'. When I add the 'Insert Numbering Column' the column does not fit for double digit row #'s.  So row # 88 displays as only wide enough for one digit.  And even though the table is set to 'fixed' with format, I cannot resize the Numbering column to be wide enough to display the #88 on one line instead of wrapping in the Numbering column.

I even tried reverting to 'Responsive' mode allows me to adjust the newly added column, but then when I revert to Fixed' mode the Numbering column is just a 'regular column.

This seems like a bug to me.

4 answers

1 vote
Sharon Welensky January 24, 2019

Table Row Numbers - Getting the right row length for double digits:
The way i worked around this was to

1. Let it number all the rows in the "Fixed" width table

2. Change the table to "Responsive", upon which it adjusted that column to allow for double digit width - Boom! Confluence took care of it automatically

3. Then, I changed my table width back to "Fixed"  :-)

0 votes
Rajat Srivastav September 27, 2018

Hello all. I am using Confluence Cloud and I still see this issue. I have attached a screenshot. 

@Damien Tan: How did you get the column to adjust to 2-digit and 3-digit numbers? Can you please try it again on Confluence Cloud? Thank you. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 10.27.55 AM.png 

Damien Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2018

hey @Rajat Srivastav

I was focusing on Confluence Server and my screenshot above was taken from a Confluence Server v6.7.2

However, I just tried replicating the same thing in a Confluence Cloud instance and I can see the same outcome as well:

table numbering.pngI simply opened a blank page and insert a table and then enable Insert numbering column to my table. then hold down the TAB button to make it all the way to row 100, it was able to expand whenever it hit more digits.

Perhaps you can do the same test on a new page and see if this works on your end?

Rajat Srivastav September 28, 2018

Thank you @Damien Tan for detailed steps and a prompt reply. I noticed that your table type is "responsive" and not "fixed width".

My problem is when I select "fixed width" for the table, the numbering column cannot accommodate 2- digit numbers (and higher).

Can you please try below steps:
1. Create bank document

2. Insert table

3. Check the "Insert numbering column" 

4. Change "Responsive" to "Fixed-width"

5. Start inserting rows (using tab)

6. You should notice that row number 10 would not be able to fit the 2-digits. And the column width cannot be resized either. 

Every other column's width can be adjusted except the width of the inserted numbering column. That seems to be a bug here in my opinion.

Can you please confirm that this occurs for you too?

Thank you, mate! 

Cheers! 

Screenshot 2018-09-28 at 12.33.06 PM.png

P.S. On a different note, it would have been good to have an option to upload a short clip. It can perhaps be tagged as an "enhancement request". May help debug behavioural related issues faster if people can upload short clips while asking for help. :)

Rajat Srivastav September 28, 2018

Created this by mistake. Please ignore. All details were added to previous comment. 
Didn't find an option to delete this. 

Damien Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2018

I haven't tried it again with the Cloud instance based on your steps (i was from Server platform so i work more on confluence server) but from what you've described, this does sound like something to be improved!

I'd suggest opening a support ticket with us so the Cloud Engineer can verify that and help to create a bug report for it (you can attach video/short clip into the ticket too)

0 votes
Joel Ransom September 5, 2018

It does happen. 
fixedwidth.PNG

Casey Maynard September 5, 2018

Agreed. This issue is reproducible, but I doubt there will be any fix in the near future.

Damien Tan
Atlassian Team
September 5, 2018

@Joel Ransom

I wonder which version of Confluence you're using? I can try to test it out in the specific version and see is it something that has been fixed (or something new that happened after the version i tested)

Since this has been reproduced on your end, can you also paste the Storage Format of the page here? I can use that to replicate the same content in my page to compare whats the difference between our tables

0 votes
Damien Tan
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2018

Hey @Casey Maynard

if I got your problem right, the column in your table that is inserted using Insert Numbering Column feature is not in the correct width to display the row number

I've tried to insert a dummy table in my Confluence 6.7.2 with some simple test data just to make sure the table has enough rows to test this out, and the result that I got seems to be just fine. You won't be able to edit the width of the numbering column regardless if you set the table to Responsive or Fixed width because this particular column would automatically adjust its width to fit the row number's length (at least that is what I can see when I test it up to 3 digits). Here is the example of my table:

tablerow.JPG

As you can see, the numbering row expand itself to be able to display 3 digits. 

I wonder what is the Confluence version you're using and if you can show me a screenshot of the issue?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events