Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting 2 UNIQUE images into a confluence page shows only 1 image TWICE

Chris Novak April 16, 2020

I am pulling my hair out. I absolutely hate how bad Atlassian software is. Both Confluence AND Bitbucket are completely filled with UI bugs, and Atlassian NEVER fixes any of them.

My current insanely frustrating Confluence experience (using Chrome MacOS, latest):

1) create a new confluence, write some text

2) add an image to the page: use the modal to "drag and drop" an image from my local machine to the "library"

3) finish inserting the image into the page

4) add another, completely UNIQUE image to a different part of the page, following the steps from step #2 above. Confirm that a NEW image has been added to the "library"

5) finish inserting the second, UNIQUE image in the page

6) go back and review the images, instead of seeing two UNIQUE images, the 2nd image I added is shown TWICE (except it is VERY VERY small in the place where the OTHER image should be)

7) attempt to delete the duplicated image and re-insert the 1st one from the library

8) instead of seeing two UNIQUE images in the doc, the 1st image is now in the doc TWICE

No matter how many times I delete the INCORRECTLY DUPLICATED image (which is very small) and re-insert the CORRECT image, Confluence shows the last inserted image TWICE.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Oliveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2020

Hi Chris,

I understand your frustration. Please notice that Confluence and other Atlassian Products do what you are experience when the attachments (or images in your case) have the same name. Can you please double check if both your attachments have a similar name?

Thanks for your patience!

Rodrigo B Oliveira.

Chris Novak May 6, 2020

Yes, that solved it.

The UI needs a warning about this "feature."

Nothing told me the problem was related to the file name, which was auto-created by my screen capture program.

Like Rodrigo Oliveira likes this
Rodrigo Oliveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2020

Hey Chris,

I'm glad to see that it solved your issue. This is an expected behavior from all Atlassian products - attachments with the same name will overwrite the previous one.

Thank you for the feedback. We already have a proposal with the development team as below, but there is no ETA so far.

Warn the user during upload if an attachment filename already exists on the page. We can additionally offer an option to rename the file or to continue and create a new version of the existing file

Thanks for still choosing Atlassian's products.

Rodrigo B Oliveira.

Chris Novak May 7, 2020

If it is the "expected behavior" that an image with the same name as a previously uploaded one will "overwrite the previous one," then you STILL have a bug because the UI shows BOTH images in the image "library."

Can you not see that is a bug, or at the least, a poorly executed feature?

Right now, I can see BOTH images with the same file name (via thumbnail) in my "image library," but only one technically exists. If your above statement about the "expected behavior" is correct, then I should only be seeing ONE thumbnail.

Like Michael Grupp likes this
Rodrigo Oliveira
Atlassian Team
May 7, 2020

Hi Chris,

We have already raised a concern for our developer team and a solution will be applied for it. As of now, there is no ETA, but it is being worked on.

Thanks.

Jaime Salazar July 2, 2021

Over a year later this issue still happens. What's strange is I think it wasn't happening before but it started happening recently for me.

1 vote
loftyconsulting November 17, 2021

This is the most annoying 'feature' in the world. Can't confluence automatically give figures unique identifiers behind the scene so that they don't get overwritten. Why do I have to do rename myself ?

It's a dangerous bug as no warning is given , everything look fine in edit mode, but when you publish all images with the same file name become the same. So dumb.

If a feature feels like a bug, it's not a feature but a bug !

0 votes
Michael Grupp September 19, 2022

How can this be considered as a feature? This behavior is undocumented and it happens silently - as stated by others, the content only disappears after hitting the publish button. This is the worst way I can imagine to handle this.

This would be all that's needed in edit mode to at least make people aware of this:

"A file with the name 'foo.bar' already exists on the page, would you like to replace it? <yes> <no>"

And as a premium feature you can consider a "keep both" option.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events