Insert timestamp in Confluence

Peter_Bright January 8, 2015

Is there a quick way to insert a timestamp in a Confluence page?

e.g. Like media wiki

9 answers

8 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2015

If you type // you get a date picker and you can pick the current date – it doesn't happen on saving as in MediaWiki.  It would just end up being plain text, of course, and could be changed later.

Peter_Bright May 21, 2020

Thanks Jonathan,

A VERY Belated "Thank you" for posting this suggestion.

Peter ;)

Like # people like this
3 votes
Roman Kirilenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2016

Hello!

You can use a Handy Timestamp macro from Handy Macros for Confluence.

2 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2016

You could just create a simple user macro. (Though it's hardly surprising that people try to sell expensive plugins on here instead of just copy/pasting a simple script as an answer.)

Here's "mine" - I borrowed it from another thread on here. It will insert the date and time of when the page was last saved.

## Macro title: CurrentTimeAndDate
## Macro has a body: N
## Body processing: Selected body processing option
## Output: Selected output option
##
## Developed by: David Skreiner stole it from https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/25481/insert-current-date-into-confluence-page
## Date created: 06/07/2016
## Installed by: David Skreiner

## @noparams
$action.dateFormatter.formatGivenString("dd. MMM yyyy HH:mm", $content.currentDate)

To save it as a user macro, go to Administration -> User Macros.
To use it, edit a page, choose insert macro, then select the name you've given it.

Michelle Pavel October 10, 2016

Hi David, do we copy the whole lot or a portion of this code. Also can it go into a sidebar panel? Thanks Michelle

Like Eric Koo likes this
John Corwith July 18, 2017

The script above does not constitute a timestamp, It will show the current date/time on the page. A macro is needed that sets metada to a fixed timestamp when the macro is triggered/link clicked.

Like Fisher Chen likes this
1 vote
Alexander H. Laughlin August 31, 2016

I believe the idea would be that you'd want to log an event in a Confluence page. If, for instance, you are returning someone's call and have a meeting minutes page set up you might like to know not just the date, but also the time the return call was made.

0 votes
Peter_Bright May 21, 2020

Hi All,

I completely forgot I posted this.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Regards,

Peter

0 votes
Shri May 19, 2020

Insert ‘Contributors’ Macro (this is an inbuilt macro I believe)

This helped me with what I needed, a place to see who edited the page and when.

0 votes
Stuart Bowman September 1, 2016

Ah, I found the timestamp feature in the Handy Macros for Atlassian plugin. That matches my needs.

0 votes
Stuart Bowman September 1, 2016

Is there any further information on this? The OP's question didn't really seem to be answered as he was looking for a timestamp, not just a calendar date. I find I need the same. I'd like to keep a time log of events on one page. Is there a way to insert a timestamp while typing content?

0 votes
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2015

This timestamp should represent what exactly? Page created/updated? Should it be visible on each page or only on certain pages?

Darrel Lee March 15, 2019

It should just insert the time now.

Like Meetu Sahni likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events