cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert image placeholder in template

Rosario De Domenico
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2017

According to documentation and other questions, it is not possible to attach an image (or other file) to a template but only to link to a resource that exist in another page.

This behaviour does not fulfill my use case where each new page created with the template needs to contain his own set of attachments.

Now, while it is not at issue (actually the desired behaviour) to attach the required files to the new page after creation from template, I would like to save the user the burden of editing the new page and inserting the images in the right location.

I would like to define in the template where which attachement shall be shown so that the user needs only to create the page with template and drag-and-drop the attachements. (Prerequisite would be, of course, that the attached files have exactly the same name as used in the template).

Is there a way to achieve this? How?

1 answer

0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2017

You can create a page on your confluence space where you put all the attachments that will be useful for your templates. (you can even hide this page by moving it on the top of your homepage while in "Reorder page")

Then when you create a template, go on "insert image", then select "search on other pages" and type the name of the image required. the image will be displayed as if it was attached and directly on your template. This is only in order to not host one hundred time the same image if you create one hundred pages based on this template.

Once you create a page base on this template, you can move the image everywhere you want on the page. You can even delete it if you need. If the image is deleted in the template it's okay.  

However, if the image is deleted in the source page, it will be deleted everywhere. But the good point is that if for example if you want to modify the image, you can just upload a new image with the same name on the source page and it will be replaced everywhere. 

Leandro D'Andrea February 14, 2020

Same problem here. But there is no "insert image" at all when I'm in the template edit mode, so I can't follow this.

I saw that issue is from 2017. Is this still valid?

Like # people like this
Bob Bergman February 18, 2020

I think that the new editing experience (aka fabric) in Confluence Cloud does not support images that are not attachments of itself, so the 2017 solution only applies to the legacy editing experience.  This feels like a feature gap in the new editing experience, but my understanding is that it's working as designed.  An odd choice from Atlassian to be sure.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events