Information architecture

Joseph Baranowski December 17, 2014

Trying to work within the Confluence structure and build an expandable structure. Right now no one knows where information goes. We left it open for a year to see how people would use it and now it needs help. Basic structure is to have Projects, Departments, Applications (these would all be spaces) and then each individual project, department and application would be another space.

The thought is that these spaces would interconnected based upon Categories and labels. Ideally it would be great that when a new project space is created it would populated on the Projects page (Category: Active, Project), Department Page (Category:Dept. Name, Project, Active), Application page (Category:Application name).  This same idea with labels within a space which I would hope could be built into a page creation flow. 

These ideas are coming forth to make the user experience and organization easier. I have done this with other CMS systems before...even sharepoint. I am hoping that I am missing something with Confluence because the categories appear to be useless beyond a search. 

1 answer

0 votes
Maggie Modersohn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

Hi Joseph,

You could create a Space blueprint which automatically assigns specific categories. Have a look at this article for instructionsHowever, mapping the structure of your organization onto the many features of Confluence is probably something that goes beyond the scope of Atlassian Answers. 

We recently gave a webinar on creating a sound information architecture in Confluence which hopefully gets your thoughts flowing on how to organize things. Contact us if you wish to discuss this with an Atlassian Expert.

Mary Hilshey April 24, 2019

Is this webinar still available?

Like Michelle Rau good likes this
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

I'm interested in that too!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events