Indexing/Searching/Phonetics of Imported Documents

Jeach October 19, 2016

I really, really wish that Confluence would beef up the indexing/search/phonetics functionality and provide a full Document Management System (DMS) feature set.

Every time I'm at a company that use shared-drives or Sharepoint and try to convince them to move to a wiki like Confluence (recommending you BTW), the very first question is ... "what do I do with my 2,000 existing documents"?

Over and over again this is a big concern and I don't understand why you overlook this?

The other day I was giving a Confluence demo to a potential company with 50+ employees and the first thing they wanted to see was the indexing/search. So I imported a PDF document with very unique business domain terms and keywords.

Typing keywords that I knew existed in the PDF document couldn't find anything. So I assumed that you have delayed indexing. A few hours later I did find an exact matche. But if I typed the first 6 letters of words that I know existed in the document (not the complete word), it wouldn't find it. I also tried to make spelling mistakes and it wouldn't find it either. I was really, really disappointed!

You do realize and understand (I hope) that clients that need/require a wiki, also have many documents of all types and they need to be able to manage them from their new content management tool (Confluence)?

Because of this, the client will not move over to Confluence.

My experimentation with open-source libraries has shown me that you have close to no reason or excuse not to have full indexing/search/phonetic capabilities at this point. It has to be something political inside Atlassian!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2016

If there's one thing I want Atlassian to fix, it's the search in Confluence.  We said it again at Summit repeatedly "we all use google to search your Confluence installations, because search does. not. work."

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events