Include page does not work as expected

Anders_Kvalvik_Kvernberg April 16, 2020

My company uses a standard documentation layout for all projects which means that every project/confluence space has a set of pages that share the same title.

When I want to include one of these pages on another page I'm unable to find it as the search bar for the macro to include a page only shows the 7 first suggestions without the ability to scroll.

The documentation says that it is possible to narrow down the search by using the syntax 'SPACEKEY:Title', but this does not seem to work as intended. I tried using this functionality, verifying multiple times that I have the correct spacekey, but it does not work.

I have even tried different pages from different spaces, but nothing seems to work.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2020

Hi Anders,

Welcome to Atlassian Community, and thank you for bringing this to us.

I would love to test this to see what might be going wrong, but I'll just need you to confirm the markup you used and the name of the page/space. Please also confirm if this is in the new editor or the old editor.

When you search for the page, can you tell the difference between the pages, or is the main issue that you can't scroll to see more when you know there are more pages?

Take care,

Shannon

Anders_Kvalvik_Kvernberg April 20, 2020

Hello Shannon!

Thank you for looking into this problem.

The space is https://kvaerner.atlassian.net using the new editor and the include page macro (/include page).

I can tell the difference between the pages if I hover over them with my pointer, which is a bit cumbersome, but manageable, but the main issue is that I can't scroll when I know there are more pages. I can't narrow down the search by specifying the space key either, as specified in the macro.

"To specify a page in a different space, use SPACEKEY:Page Title."

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2020

Hi Anders,

Thank you for confirming that. I've tested this functionality on my site, and can confirm it's working as expected:

CleanShot 2020-04-20 at 16.15.47.png

Note that I did need to type the entire page name before the result came up, since it does not make a partial search.

Even though the feature appears to be working, but could you clarify with me the name of your space and page? Are there any special characters or accent marks? 

I know I asked you earlier about your space, but you provided me your Cloud site URL.

Spaces are like categories that you create to organize your content in Confluence. If you aren't sure of the name of your space, you can check the Space Directory, or by looking at the breadcrumb link on the top-left of the page you want to include.

Regarding only receiving seven results in the edit macro dialogue, I'm investigating this currently and I will let you know what I find out.

Thank you!

Shannon

Anders_Kvalvik_Kvernberg April 21, 2020

The space is called 'L-Gamma' and the key is 'LGAM'.

The page I'm trying to include is called 'Component'.

I've tried the same search as you did above, but with different results. All of the suggested pages are in different spaces than the one I'm trying to specify.

insert_page.PNG

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 21, 2020

Hi Anders,

You don't need to select an option here; typing LGAM:Component is enough. 

I've tested this by creating a duplicate page name, and when I type my original CQ:Markup, the correct page inserts after I save the macro.

Can you test that and let me know if you can confirm the same?

In relation to the macro settings only returning 7 pages at a time, it appears this might have been intentional. I'm raising a feature request for this and I'll reply to you once I've entered that into the system.

Take care,

Shannon

Anders_Kvalvik_Kvernberg April 29, 2020

Ah yes, that works! Thank you for the help.

I've however found something different that not works as expected.

When I have both text and images on a page that is included somewhere else, the formatting is skewed when included. This only happens when an image is not full width.

Please see examples below.

Original page:

original.PNG

Included page:include.PNG

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2020

Hi Anders,

Thank you for reporting that. I just replicated this on my own instance. It's almost as if the include macro is displaying the page as if it were on the legacy editor, even though it's not.

I neglected to report the issue with only 7 results displaying, so tomorrow I'll be reporting the following and will share with you:

1. Showing more than 7 results when searching for a page name in the macro parameter pop-up
  2. Include macros displaying excerpts and pages in legacy editor format

Thanks again and I'll follow-up tomorrow once I've had a chance to report those.

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 30, 2020

Hello Anders,

Thank you again for your patience. Your issue with the Include Page Macro reminded me of another one I saw. In that case, we noticed there was an issue because the Include Page macro was displaying a purple Status Macro as grey. Purple wasn't originally a color you could use for the Status Macro in the legacy editor, so that's what tipped us off.

I found the bug ticket for that, and it looks like it's the same thing you're experiencing now, since both pages are on the newer editor:

• CONFCLOUD-66520 Include Page macro displays content in legacy editor style

I am including your example in the internal comments on that bug. It'll help people to understand the various ways this bug can affect a page.

Now, back to your original issue, I've reported it below:

• CONFCLOUD-69913 Macro parameters won't list more than 7 results when searching for a specific page name.

Even though it's by design to only show up to 7 results, there are ways that this can be adjusted to be more user-friendly. I've included some suggestions there in my report. 

Please make sure to vote on both cases to show that your team is being affected by this. You'll automatically be added to the list of watchers and get any updates in the future.

Take care, and have a pleasant rest of your week.

Shannon

Anders_Kvalvik_Kvernberg May 3, 2020

Thanks for your help, Shannon!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2020

You're welcome, Anders!

Do let me know if you run into any other issues, and feel free to tag me on any new questions you ask about Confluence.

Take care,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events