Include date in Confluence

Felix Sargent July 30, 2014

Hi!

I'm trying to put in a date into a wiki page. On auto-generated Retrospective pages, there is an excellent date picker. I'd like this on other pages, but I can't figure out how to include it. It's not a macro, and doesn't exist anywhere within the documentation. The only way I've been able to include the same functionality has been to literally copy and paste the date picker to the new page.

See screenshot. Top is what I want. The rest is how hard I'm trying.

10 answers

1 accepted

80 votes
Answer accepted
snorrish
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2014

You can press // to initiate the date picker.

Oh WOW. Where is that documented? I have no idea how I would have found that out. Google Search: Date Picker Confluence and you get nothing.

Feature request - include the date picker under the Macro's list.

Like # people like this
AsmitaD January 19, 2016

Thank you it works fine. 

I agree with @Felix Sargent, found no documentation for it.

Rob Gilliam June 8, 2016

If you're creating a minutes from a meeting template then the "actions" section gives a hint, but otherwise I don't think it's documented.

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2016
Like # people like this
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2017

The documentation is in the product help:

Keyboard shortcuts

Rob McMurtry May 2, 2017

The documentation is for // as in you're typing and inline enter // and get the date picker.

This is not what Felix is referring to. In the retrospective (and other) templates there's a lozenge that inserts the current date when you create the document.

Where is that functionality documented? I've been futzing with it off and on with poor results.

Szymon Jachim September 22, 2017

@AnnWorley I followed your link. This "//" is not documented there. 

Like Natalie White likes this
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2017

Thank you very much for pointing this out! I scoured the keyboard shortcut help pages in both Confluence 6.4 and Confluence Cloud and I did not see the date picker: // shortcut.

Then I found that this has been reported before: Add documentation for date picker keyboard shortcut

Please feel free to comment or vote on the ticket. Doing so will communicate directly with the team responsible for the ticket and also, add you to notifications so you'll know when action is taken on it.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2018

Is there any way to change the date format so after selecting a date the day will be shown for example?

Like # people like this
2 votes
Nandini Vyas October 22, 2019

Will the date picker always display current date and refresh automatically everyday?

2 votes

Source says it's

<p>&nbsp;<time datetime="2014-04-25" />&nbsp;</p></td></tr>
but I don't how how to include that.
Akhil Gupta February 22, 2018

change the code..never be unsure!

Ronald Tague June 29, 2021

Thanks for sharing

1 vote
Abhay Patil October 12, 2017

BTW, the "//" as date picker has STOPPED WORKING today!! :(

Abhay Patil October 13, 2017

And today it is working alright!

Like Saumya Sunder[Appfire] likes this
0 votes
Stiltsoft Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 3, 2022

Hello Community.

@Casey Maynardasked about the ability to change the date without page editing. Handy Date is the solution for this use case. It's one of the macros of Handy Macros for Confluence.

Our app includes many other useful macros in a bundle, like statuses, buttons, reminders, and more. So you could use not only advanced date picker with it.

0 votes
Bradley Kelly July 18, 2019

Thanks for useful answers. 

0 votes
ShelleyDee May 2, 2019

I use the Page Info for Scriptrunner macro to insert created date, last modified date etc on pages.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/174/page-info-for-scriptrunner-confluence?hosting=server&tab=overview

It's free but I'm pretty sure you need to purchase Scriptrunner to make it function correctly.

Casey Maynard May 3, 2019

Well Scriptrunner is not an affordable option.  Luckily most of the functionality we were using it can now be queried directly in the base product of JIRA/Confluence.

Would this script work on being able to query the Release Date for a Fix Version? (without having Scriptrunner installed?)

0 votes
Casey Maynard April 9, 2018

Is it possible to enter a specific date using the // format?

I would like to enter // 2008-09-17, but the date picker only seems to allow dates to be entered through the GUI date picker and enter past dates is very cumbersome through this process (can you imagine how many clicks i have to use to enter this date via the date picker without being able to enter it directly?

How can this be a 'feature' if it is not very usable?

How can this be a feature if it has a 'bug' that was just NOW (well 3 weeks ago) entered, and will unlikely be fixed any time soon.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-55188

Peter Andersen April 27, 2018

Typing

//17/9/2008

works for me.

if it is current year you can do with 

//17/9

Casey Maynard April 27, 2018

The key word there is 'typing'.  Yes that works but I need to 'paste' a date.  I have over 3000 dates that need to be entered (from an excel table) and I want them to use the // date formatter, but pasting the //17/9/2008 does not use the // date formatter it just gets pasted as text >>> //17/9/2008

Casey Maynard May 1, 2018

Update.  I recently discovered that just typing '17-9-2008' (without typing // before this) and then hit enter works.  I am not sure if this is a change or if I never tried this.  But I still need a way to paste dates (or a script that can covert them into the date formatter.

Also, it does occur to me that the date format that I enter 'dd-mm-yyyy' does not match the format that is eventually displayed.  'dd-Mmm-yyyy'.

It is amazing that such a simple feature is 

1. Poorly documented

2. Poorly implemented

Like # people like this
0 votes
Casey Maynard March 2, 2018

Is it possible to be able to have a date picker available to change the date on the page without having to go into Edit Mode?

0 votes
Ólafur Guðmundsson January 25, 2018

Does anyone know how to format this // date picker? It doesn't seem to follow the settings under general formatting settings as I would have assumed. As described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-time-and-date-formats-150144.html

Realtek IT March 19, 2018

Does anyone know how to format this // date picker?

Realtek IT March 25, 2018

I find temp solution

<script>
jQuery("time").each(function(index, value){
var element = value;
var mytime = jQuery(element).attr("datetime");
if(mytime != null)
    jQuery(element).html(mytime);
});
</script>

Casey Maynard April 9, 2018

Where can this temp solution be implemented?

Riccardo July 31, 2018

I dont think you can. At least not for the "Cloud" version of Confluence. In the "Server" version you can add it as a user-macro.

Casey Maynard July 31, 2018

Two questions

1. When I add that as a user-macro (I have server version).  It does not appear when I type {datepicker}.  How do I get the macro to appear

Note: I entered the exact text below into my macro

<script>
jQuery("time").each(function(index, value){
var element = value;
var mytime = jQuery(element).attr("datetime");
if(mytime != null)
    jQuery(element).html(mytime);
});
</script>

2. How do I set the format to be mm/dd/yyyy in that macro?

Riccardo July 31, 2018

It might be better to use the solution provided by Milo

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Insert-current-date-in-a-Confluence-template-onDemand/qaq-p/207147#M113878

This way you can change the date output.

(ps, you will have to change the HtmlSpecialChars)

Casey Maynard July 31, 2018

My apologies, I do not know what I would need to change?

And see the other thread, as I had issues in creating the macro itself, in that the macro would not be created if I created the macro 'as is', but that may be due to the fact that I do not know how to 'change the HTMLSpecialChars).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events