Include additional User Profile fields in the People Directory search

Alicia Miller October 13, 2014

Hi All,

I would like to expand the elements that can be searched for in the Confluence People Directory. 

For example, it would be really useful to be able to search the Department field (eg. "Marketing") in the People Directory search box and have it return all people with that set in their Department field in their profile. 

Any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,

Alicia

3 answers

1 vote
Justin Justin December 17, 2014

Alicia, this search any field capability is now in the v4.0.0 version of Enterprise Directory and Org Chart for Atlassian Confluence add-on. Here's a screenshot. Thanks for the great feedback; you influenced this.

NewEntDirectoryAppFusions.png

1 vote
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2014

Alicia - 

AppFusions' Enterprise Directory and Org Chart allows you to expand based on the fields in your LDAP/AD (also can include images from AD).

Also you can sort by departments, names, etc. and place lookups or org charts also In independent Confluence pages (via additional macros).

When installed, the "Directory" is natively available in the page header options.

Here's a "glimpse" video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EELtQZsZr2s&sns=tw

More info at http://appfusions.com or request eval at info@appfusions.com

Alicia Miller October 16, 2014

Hi Ellen, I am trialling the appfusions plugin at the moment. It still requires the user to decide what element the are searching for. I would just like to be able to expand the general confluence People Directory search to encompass all elements from the user profiles. Hmm. Thanks, Alicia

Justin Justin December 6, 2014

Alicia - AppFusions is about to release this feature you have requested - email info@appfusions.com

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2014

The User Profile for Confluence add-on gives you this functionality.

Update for screenshot:

image2014-10-17 10:48:37.png

Alicia Miller October 16, 2014

Hi, Yeah I have this installed so I am a bit familiar with it. The only thing though is I just don't think my users (mostly non-tech) will embrace the need to specify the element that they are searching for. For instance, somebody might want to search for everyone on the IT Service Desk... They will want to just input the word "Service" and have every profile that includes the word "Service" listed. Not: "Department:Service" or "Position:Service". So I want to know how to expand what the search of the People Directory is looking at... but not sure how to do it :-/

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2014

Yeah our users had the same issue. So, what I did was I hijacked the People Directory page by putting some JavaScript in the Custom HTML section of Confluence Admin. The JavaScript first checks to see what page the user is currently on. If it is the people directory then it hides the default search form (does not delete it). Then the script builds out a form with the fields that we want and a submit button. When the user clicks the submit button the script creates the appropriate search syntax and puts the value into the hidden search field and programatically clicks the hidden search button. I give and example on this page. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/8629205/answers/9377913

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2014

See the update on my above post for a screenshot of what ours looks like. I unhid the default search box so you could see kinda what we are doing.

Alicia Miller October 21, 2014

That's pretty good David, thanks for the excellent information. What I really want to know though is how to extend the results of that quick search box for the people directory to search more fields than just First Name, Last Name, and Username. Any ideas how to modify that directly?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2014

You have to specify the field(s) you are searching. An example search would be ... FirstName:Joe OR LastName:Joe OR Position:Joe OR Department:Joe I realize your users don't want to type that. This is reason for creating your own form that will put the search terms into the original form in the format you want. If you want just a simple form that looks just like the original(with on text field) you can use the example on the below link. Line 44 is what you would change. You would just set it to create the appropriate search string based on what you typed into the form generated by the javascript. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/8629205/answers/9377913

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events