Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

In a Content Report Table, list pages with a label that is used across multiple spaces?

My organization is trying to organize all of our documentation that spans multiple spaces on Confluence. We are now creating a single space to be our source of truth.

We do not want to move all previously created pages to this new space, as users may still be looking at the previous space to reference.

We are hoping that we can add a label to any page (in any space), and in the new space that we create, to have the Content Report Table list all pages with that label, from any space.

Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

The Content Report Table macro defaults to search for all spaces as long as the spaces parameter is blank.

I'm actively doing the same thing in one of my Knowledge Base spaces, as we have documentation in 4-5 different spaces. I'm pulling all the content in our instance with the labels "Chalk" and "Resource" to build my "Chalk Resource Index" of all my how-tos. If you look at my screenshot, I've color coded where the content is coming from. I can pull pages from Space A and blog posts from Space B. They do not have to just be pages.

Lesson learned: Limit your spaces. I should have this limited to Space A & Space B so I'm neither pulling in someone else's unrelated documentation nor the drafts in my personal space.

If you find your content is not pulling the information correctly, you may want to check your index (I'm not 100% sure how that works on Cloud).

contentreport.png

Thank you! That absolutely solves my problem!

James Dellow Community Leader Jun 19, 2019

It's also worth remembering that most macros will apply an OR rule to the labels you enter rather than AND. So in the example above, the macro will display any page tagged with the label "chalk" OR "resource".

And it's not really random spaces - the macro is dumb in the sense it simply shows content from spaces you have access not the ones you use (the results are security trimmed, i.e. you only see what you are permitted to see). This also means that someone else viewing this page could see different results if they have access to different or additional spaces where the same labels are also being used.

BTW if you think there is a problem with the index, in Cloud you'll need to raise a support ticket as reindexing is a restricted function.

Like Joseph M Farrell likes this

I did NOT know the labels applies an OR function and that may be why I'm pulling in unrelated documents. Is there a way to force it to apply an AND function?

Also, just so I don't cause any additional confusion, Jame is correct. I said "random space" because we have thousands of spaces and I have Sys Admins permissions and see everything. So, yes, not a true "random" space. It's just random to me.

James Dellow Community Leader Jun 20, 2019

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of how to do that with this macro - Confluence can do it (using CQL), which you can try via the advance search page. E.g. try entering these into the search to see the different results:

labelText:(chalk AND chalk)

labelText:(chalk OR chalk)

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 10.20.11.png

However, you can't use that query string in the macro. You might want to look at the free CQL Search app instead or build your own custom app.

PS as you have sys admin permissions, if you want to check what others see try the log in as another user feature https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/log-in-as-another-user-776994835.html

1 vote

The default is to report on all spaces.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

If I have a page is space A with label "test", and I have a Content Report Table in space B, where that table is displaying all pages with label "test"; the page from space A will not be displayed in the table.

That's odd, because when I saw your reply I tested that macro - when you first add that macro to a page and just enter one or more labels, it does pull from all spaces?

But then reading your comments above, were you specifying the spaces? Or did it not display because you have more than 20 pages tagged with that label and the "Maximum Number of Pages" was set at 20 (the default limit)?

A space had been specified, forcing the macro to not grab the other pages.

I have did not realize that I had specified that value previously. Removing the space value in the Content Report Table macro solved the issue.

Like # people like this

We manage approval and security check of multiple projects. All those relevant pages have got the same page name in different space.

I would like this macro can identify space name as well as page name. 

Can anybody find a way to solve this, or is there any other macro can do this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

🏑 Atlympic Event: Confluence

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

318 views 12 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you